Meta-Analysis Module

Everything related to the development of modules in jamovi
kylehamilton

Meta-Analysis Module

Post by kylehamilton »

Hey I guess I'm the first to post a question here!

I've been interested in making software to help people run a meta-analysis for awhile now and was wondering if there was any interest/desire for Jamovi module focused on this. I've released an R package on CRAN which uses shiny as a UI (https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages ... index.html) but I think something like Jamovi would be a much better platform for it. I've gone over the developer documents and everything looks pretty straightforward but I figured it might be nice to gauge if this is something to community would find useful and if there was someone I could pester if I run into problems.

Love what I've seen so far!

Kyle
jonathon

Re: Meta-Analysis Module

Post by jonathon »

hey kyle,

MAVIS looks pretty cool, we'd be pretty keen, and i'd be happy to help out in any way i could :)

drop us a line if you get stuck, or are just after some advice (jon at thon dot love, or contact at jamovi dot org).

making something like meta-analysis free and accessible is exactly the sort of thing we want to facilitate with jamovi. so we're on board :)

jonathon
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

... or you can ask in the forums :)
kylehamilton

Post by kylehamilton »

Cool sounds good. I've run into a minor problem with the jmvtools package. For some reason, the package can't find Jamovi. I've followed the tutorial and tried to tell it where Jamovi is installed but it's still throwing errors. It is late in the semester so it's totally possible I'm just missing something obvious here. I'm running Windows 10 with R 3.3.3.

> jmvtools::check()
module.js:471
throw err;
^

Error: Cannot find module 'C:\Users\Kyle'
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:469:15)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:417:25)
at Module.runMain (module.js:604:10)
at run (bootstrap_node.js:394:7)
at startup (bootstrap_node.js:149:9)
at bootstrap_node.js:509:3
Warning message:
running command '"C:/Users/Kyle Hamilton/Documents/R/win-library/3.3/node/node.exe" C:/Users/Kyle Hamilton/Documents/R/win-library/3.3/jmvtools/node_modules/jamovi-compiler/index.js --check' had status 1

> jmvtools::check(home = "C:\\Program Files\\jamovi 0.7.2.1")
module.js:471
throw err;
^

Error: Cannot find module 'C:\Users\Kyle'
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:469:15)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:417:25)
at Module.runMain (module.js:604:10)
at run (bootstrap_node.js:394:7)
at startup (bootstrap_node.js:149:9)
at bootstrap_node.js:509:3
Warning message:
running command '"C:/Users/Kyle Hamilton/Documents/R/win-library/3.3/node/node.exe" C:/Users/Kyle Hamilton/Documents/R/win-library/3.3/jmvtools/node_modules/jamovi-compiler/index.js --check --home "C:\Program Files\jamovi 0.7.2.1"' had status 1
>
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

ah yes, it looks like it's choking because there's a space in the path to jmvtools. give me a couple of mins, and should be able to push out a fix.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

OK, i've pushed a fixed version of jmvtools, 0.4.16

you can install with:

Code: Select all

install.packages('jmvtools', repos='https://repo.jamovi.org')
sorry for the inconvenience!
kylehamilton

Post by kylehamilton »

It's not a problem at all these things happen with new software. It works now which is great! It did take awhile to install from source but it wasn't that big of a deal.

> library("jmvtools", lib.loc="~/R/win-library/3.3")
> jmvtools::check()

jamovi compiler

jamovi could not be found!

Warning message:
running command '"C:/Users/Kyle Hamilton/Documents/R/win-library/3.3/node/node.exe" "C:/Users/Kyle Hamilton/Documents/R/win-library/3.3/jmvtools/node_modules/jamovi-compiler/index.js" --check' had status 1

> jmvtools::check(home = "C:\\Program Files\\jamovi 0.7.2.1")

jamovi compiler

jamovi found at C:\Program Files\jamovi 0.7.2.1\bin\jamovi.exe
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

It did take awhile to install from source but it wasn't that big of a deal.
yeah, whatever untar algorithm R uses under windows is super slow (especially when there's lots of small files). i tried solving this by making a binary version (which uses zip instead), but whatever zip algorithm R uses under windows fails with long file paths. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Hi Kyle,

Just wanted to say that it's really cool you are making a meta-analysis module for jamovi! Because all the analyses automatically update when you add new rows, this means that people can keep adding new studies to the meta-analysis and see immediately how this affects the results. Great potential :)

Cheers,
Ravi
kylehamilton

Post by kylehamilton »

Hey Ravi,

I'm at a conference this week but I'll throw some stuff up on GitHub when I get back home.

Kyle