Crash while importing packages

Everything related to the development of modules in jamovi
atesh.koul

Crash while importing packages

Post by atesh.koul »

Hi there,

First of all, a big thanks to the developers for creating jamovi. I really feel that it is something that was needed especially from the perspective of creating user interfaces.

As I recently uploaded a package (https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages ... index.html ) on CRAN, I wanted to create a module for it in jamovi. But, unfortunately (most likely for some error on my part), I am facing issues importing the package.

Specifically, I tried the t test example and it seems to be working. However, as soon as, I try to load an external package the jamovi-engine crashes (even if the installation works without error). I have the imports in DESCRIPTION file and import package in the NAMESPACE file.

As soon as I remove the import package from NAMESPACE file, the crash stops but jamovi is unable to load the package (package or namespace load failed for package). I have tried this for both my package as well as for ggplot2.

I also observe that sometimes, the file .u.yaml is not updated in case I modify the .a.yaml file. I would really appreciate any help with what I might be doing wrong.

I am using ‘jmvtools’ version 0.4.15, jamovi version 0.7.2.1 on windows system with R 3.3.2. Please let me know in case you would like to have more information.

Thanks a lot!!

Best,
Atesh
jonathon

Re: Crash while importing packages

Post by jonathon »

hey atesh,

i think this is possibly to do with an R version mis-match. i've never really considered that this might be an issue. jamovi uses R 3.3.1, 64-bit. could you try using jmvtools from inside the R which is bundled with jamovi?

you'll find it if you navigate to jamovi/Frameworks/R

if that still doesn't work, perhaps you could email me your source, and i'll try and reproduce it here.

if it is the mis-match issue, i'll have to think through a good way of handling it.
I also observe that sometimes, the file .u.yaml is not updated in case I modify the .a.yaml file. I would really appreciate any help with what I might be doing wrong.
yes, this is an issue we've been meaning to iron out (i think i mention it in the docs, but it could be made clearer), the *updating* of the .u.yaml file often doesn't work real well. so it's often easiest to just delete the .u.yaml file, and the next time jmvtools::install() (or jmvtools::prepare()) is run, it will create it from scratch.

hopefully we'll get on top of this soon.

thanks so much for your report

jonathon
atesh.koul

Post by atesh.koul »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply Jonathon!! Your suggestion works.

With the native R from jamovi, I am able to load my package and run the functions. I must say that it is really exciting having the module. I hope to have a fully functional module soon. Manually deleting the .u.yaml file also works.

Thanks a lot for all the help!!

Best,
Atesh
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

awesome! looking forward to seeing your stuff :)

jonathon