Bubble help from modules?

Everything related to the development of modules in jamovi
Gisbert

Bubble help from modules?

Post by Gisbert »

Is it possible (with reasonable effort) to have jamovi display some bubble help when the user hovers the mouse over some field either in the input section on the screen, or maybe over a field (or table) in the output section on the screen?
(Motivation: bubble help for an input element could give further information on the purpose of that input field, or about permissible range of input, etc., without cluttering scarce screen real estate.)
It seems this kind of information is, in principle, available from, e.g., the "description" entry in the .a.yaml file, but I didn't find any documentation how to turn this standard field into some on-demand help function.
(Then again, maybe my search strategy was juist not good enough.)
MAgojam

Re: Bubble help from modules?

Post by MAgojam »

Hey @Gisbert,

if yours is a possible request that there may be tooltips for the analysis offered by jamovi, I believe that it does not fall within the development plans of jamovi (except to be denied).
If you send us you think about developing your own module and offering these aids within it, I believe it is possible with a "little reasonable effort", if you usually play with Javascript and DOM.

Cheers,
Maurizio
Gisbert

Re: Bubble help from modules?

Post by Gisbert »

Dear Maurizio,
Ah, I see my question was phrased ambiguously. I am sorry!
In fact, I indeed meant the second case, i.e., can I offer bubble help/tooltips for a module I am developing. (The module will be used for teaching, and some help may make students happier.)
Yes, I am comfortable programming in JavaScript, manipulating the DOM etc. I like it that the jamovi architecture is designed to be open so that such extensions are possible.
I am aware that quite some of the specifications in the .a.yaml and .r.yaml "compiled" into JavaScript code, but
currently, I wouldn't know how to integrate my own JS. I remember seeing it mentioned that code can be registered for certain events through some events.js file. I haven't, up to now, found enough of documentation to get me going. I guess I'll have to start looking harder :-)

Thank you for pointing me to this path towards a solution for my little problem, Maurizio!

Cheers from Germany --

\Gisbert