Want to buy a Macbook Air with M1 CPU... Will jamovi work?

Everything related to development of the jamovi platform

by dr_Primus » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:45 am

So... The title is self explanatory ;)

How well does jamovi work? Is emulation fast enough? Or perhaps we'll see a ARM native version soon?

Thanks... Keep up the good work
dr_Primus

by jonathon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:37 pm

i'm 99% sure it will work, but we're yet to have a confirmation. it sounds like emulation is fast enough in most instances.

arm native jamovi first requires the R folks to release an arm native R and CRAN. but my intention is to buy an M1 mac when the pro line is announced (not because i want an M1 mac, i think apple are jerks), so jamovi on M1 should be well supported in the future.

jonathon
jonathon

by dr_Primus » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:52 am

Thanks for the answer... I also think that Apple are jerks (although Tim Cook is a much nicer guy than Steve Jobs... but he's not a revolutionary... just an extremely competent executive), but their products are pretty good... The switch to ARM architecture was pretty slick and improved battery life and raw performance are really great.

I use my iPad as a guitar recording interface and it works great... Latency is basically nonexistant and GarageBand is a great free piece of software that has 95% of features majority of users need (just like jamovi... but you have additional modules that expand jamovi into a statistics behemoth :)

On the mobile front I was a iPhone user but switched to Android because of added flexibility and cool stuff like F-Droid FOSS repository :)

Sorry for the rant ;)
dr_Primus

Return to jamovi development