Want to buy a Macbook Air with M1 CPU... Will jamovi work?

Everything related to development of the jamovi platform
dr_Primus

Want to buy a Macbook Air with M1 CPU... Will jamovi work?

Post by dr_Primus »

So... The title is self explanatory ;)

How well does jamovi work? Is emulation fast enough? Or perhaps we'll see a ARM native version soon?

Thanks... Keep up the good work
jonathon

Re: Want to buy a Macbook Air with M1 CPU... Will jamovi wor

Post by jonathon »

i'm 99% sure it will work, but we're yet to have a confirmation. it sounds like emulation is fast enough in most instances.

arm native jamovi first requires the R folks to release an arm native R and CRAN. but my intention is to buy an M1 mac when the pro line is announced (not because i want an M1 mac, i think apple are jerks), so jamovi on M1 should be well supported in the future.

jonathon
dr_Primus

Post by dr_Primus »

Thanks for the answer... I also think that Apple are jerks (although Tim Cook is a much nicer guy than Steve Jobs... but he's not a revolutionary... just an extremely competent executive), but their products are pretty good... The switch to ARM architecture was pretty slick and improved battery life and raw performance are really great.

I use my iPad as a guitar recording interface and it works great... Latency is basically nonexistant and GarageBand is a great free piece of software that has 95% of features majority of users need (just like jamovi... but you have additional modules that expand jamovi into a statistics behemoth :)

On the mobile front I was a iPhone user but switched to Android because of added flexibility and cool stuff like F-Droid FOSS repository :)

Sorry for the rant ;)
mihaidricu

Post by mihaidricu »

I would like to add my two cents: Jamovi seems to run extremely fast via emulation but the GAMLJ module is broken. It says that the module is missing but it is clearly installed. Only the mixed model is affected, the other options within the GAMLJ module seem to work fine.
Attachments
Gamlj error.jpg
Gamlj error.jpg (109.43 KiB) Viewed 13419 times
Gamlj installed.jpg
Gamlj installed.jpg (106.95 KiB) Viewed 13419 times
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

that is a very unexpected error ....