Numeric suggestions

Everything related to development of the jamovi platform
bhite38

Numeric suggestions

Post by bhite38 »

Hello!

I love the work you are doing. The package "jmv" and the jamovi interface are wonderful. I often use the jmv package within R instead of through jamovi, but both are quite amazing.

I just had two suggestions:

(1) for Levene's test in an independent t test, one df is given, and the other is technically the df in the t test, but it is not provided in the Levene's test itself. In anova and onward, both df's are given. It could be good to offer the 2nd df in the t test as well.

(2) I come from a psychology background. Therefore, when rounding, it is great to see at least 2 if not 3 decimal places out for descriptives and the statistics. A few of your statistics/descriptives round it to one decimal place which makes it difficult to report in the format we often use in publications, conferences, etc. I'm not sure if this is an easy fix, but I just thought I would bring it up in case it is!

Once again, thanks for the great work. I appreciate what you all have put together!
jonathon

Re: Numeric suggestions

Post by jonathon »

1) ah yes, good idea

2) we generally round to four significant figures, so the number of decimal places will depend on the numbers involved (which i think is a really nice behaviour), but you're right, this is an issue if a particular number of dps is required (we're psychologists too incidentally). you're not the first person to raise this, and it's something we're thinking through. we might provide an option where you can just specify "i want all numbers formatted to X decimal places", which is kinda ugly, but useful here.

there's an interesting dissociation between what's useful for *doing* statistics, vs *reporting* statistics. we don't provide a lot of opportunity for customizing plots at the moment, which is fine for *doing* statistics, but if you want to write a paper, that can be a problem. all this to say, we are gradually pivoting in that direction.

thanks for bringing this up.

jonathon