First thoughts

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
Ravi

First thoughts

Post by Ravi »

We know that a completely empty forum can be a bit daunting. However, we are very eager to engage with you about what you do like, your reservations, what you think we can improve, etc. Please use this topic to share your first thoughts.
DrJ

Re: First thoughts

Post by DrJ »

Hi!

First of all, congratulations for the release. I've been testing the program for a little bit, and it looks really promising. To be honest, at first I did not understand the point of jamovi, being (apparently) so close to Jasp, but after checking the differences, I can see the huge potential of the third party modules and additional changes that were introduced. I'll try the module creation tutorial and see what I can do.

A couple of suggestions in the meantime:
Copy/Cut/Paste in the csv editor would be convenient
A warning when trying to exit with unsaved changes
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi DrJ!

thanks for your thoughts. would be very keen for feedback on our developer hub tutorials.

and yup, copy/paste in the spreadsheet are features we'll be getting to soon. we've been concentrating on getting our developer tools/resources up to scratch in the last little while, and data-editing features have temporarily fallen on the back-burner. we're working on getting the jamovi store up and running at the moment (should be done in a week), and then we'll probably return to working on data-editing features.

oh yeah, and a warning about unsaved changes is obviously a great idea. i'm a little embarrassed we don't have that :P

cheers

jonathon
RHainez

Post by RHainez »

Hi,

Just a quick word to say how I appreciate the R-code feature and the friendly-user interface for teaching. Jamovi is the smoothest experience I had teaching statistics with a stats software. And the frequent updates are a big advantage.

Keep up the good work :)
dropmann

Post by dropmann »

RHainez wrote:Hi,

Just a quick word to say how I appreciate the R-code feature and the friendly-user interface for teaching. Jamovi is the smoothest experience I had teaching statistics with a stats software. And the frequent updates are a big advantage.

Keep up the good work :)
Hi RHainez,

Thank you for your words of encouragement! We are working hard to make the lives of educators, students, researchers, statisticians and developers as easy as possible. We will be releasing another update very soon!
ReinoutVrijhoef

Post by ReinoutVrijhoef »

Hello,

Thank you very much for designing this program. It is very user friendly, and uses the power of R. I'm learning R (and statistics) at the moment, and I'm trying to do everything in R Markdown. Is it possible to use the output generated bij Jamovi (or the jmv package, for that matter) in R Markdown? I can't really access the object in the manner that I'm used to, so including tables and figures, and referencing specific values is not really possible at the moment. I'm aware of the fact that copying and pasting in Word is an option, but that's not really science-proof, I think :-). Plus, not very dynamic, like the rest of the program.

On a sidenote: I had to install the lmtest package manually, something with building from source went wrong a few times. Maybe I'm the only one, but maybe it's just a bug that needs fixing.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hey reinout,

thanks for getting in touch. could i ask you to post this question again as a new topic? it will make it easier for us to answer, without gumming up this thread.

with thanks

jonathon
ReinoutVrijhoef

Post by ReinoutVrijhoef »

jonathon wrote:hey reinout,

thanks for getting in touch. could i ask you to post this question again as a new topic? it will make it easier for us to answer, without gumming up this thread.

with thanks

jonathon
Of course, and thank you in advance.
rnepomu

Post by rnepomu »

Another quick suggestion. I would also like to see on top of the copy/cut/paste function the capability to import data directly from MS Excel worksheet. Will greatly reduce the number of steps to input data from the spreadsheets.

Great work....thanks.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

yes! absolutely. as you can imagine, there's a great pile of "must-have" features all clamouring to be implemented next. but hopefully we'll get to this soon.

cheers