Exporting problem

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.

by nizanely » Wed May 20, 2020 10:10 am

When exporting Jamovi file, with non-English columns names, to *.sav - I got an empy SPSS file.
nizanely
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:09 pm

by jonathon » Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 am

hi,

is this with the most recent version? (1.2.19) ... if it is, can you provide a data file we can use to reproduce the issue?

with thanks

jonathon
User avatar
jonathon
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:04 am

by nizanely » Wed May 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Yes, this is with the latest version (1.2.19).
Please see the attachment file sample.

Thanks!
Attachments
sample1.omv
(27.82 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
nizanely
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:09 pm

by stats2019 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:14 am

I just tested with 1.2.21.0:
Export of the file was no problem. When I opened the .sav file again the names of the variables were gone: They now look like @____1, @____2 etc.
stats2019
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 am

by jonathon » Mon May 25, 2020 7:22 am

ah, i remember now. this is actually a limitation of the spss file format.

https://ezspss.com/rules-for-naming-variables-in-spss/

i'm not sure there's anything we can do about it :/

jonathon
User avatar
jonathon
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:04 am

by nizanely » Mon May 25, 2020 11:45 am

Thank you for responding me.

I'v read all that rules for naming variables in SPSS that you sent me.
To the best of my knowledge, SPSS file can contains non-English names of variables (eg. Hebrew). I am doing it frequently without any problems.

I'v checked the following situations:
1) When exporting Jamovi to SPSS, all Hebrew characters in variables names were converted to @ character.
2) When importing SPSS with Hebrew variables name to Jamovi, all variables names were displayed correctrly by Hebrew characters.

Could you think about any settings I should applay to obtain fine Hebrew exporting of Jamovi's files?
nizanely
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:09 pm

by jonathon » Mon May 25, 2020 10:39 pm

oh ok, let me revisit this.

with thanks

jonathon
User avatar
jonathon
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:04 am

by jonathon » Wed May 27, 2020 2:20 am

looking into this further:

https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi-readstat/issues/5

jonathon
User avatar
jonathon
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:04 am

by jonathon » Fri May 29, 2020 2:51 am

hi nizanely,

i've pushed out a 1.2.22 which should fix most of these issues. note the sample1.omv file your provided won't work as yet ... it turns out there's a particular column name in there which causes the readstat library to fail -- we're working with the readstat developer to fix it. but i think that's a freak coincidence -- you should be able to export other data sets as .sav without issue.

let me know if you have any further issues.

cheers and thanks for reporting.

jonathon
User avatar
jonathon
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:04 am

by nizanely » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks
nizanely
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Next

Return to General