Feature request: variable labels

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
alancai1974

Feature request: variable labels

Post by alancai1974 »

One thing I like about SPSS is that it allow you to give labels to variables. I usually use the label to record how I calculate the variables. I'm wondering if you can bring this feature to Jamovi. Also, if the feature is added, I also want to see the label from the SPSS to be imported when I open a .sav file.
jonathon

Re: Feature request: variable labels

Post by jonathon »

hi,

the variable label from spss should come through in the description of the variable in jamovi.

does that do what you need?

kind regards

jonathon
alancai1974

Post by alancai1974 »

I see. Never notice that before . But it will be nice if there is a table that can show all the variables descriptions, like in SPSS
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

yup, the variables tab is definitely on the to do list. in fact, i think it's even half written. it's just on the back burner at the moment, but we should be able to return to it in the coming weeks.

cheers

jonathon
Vit

Post by Vit »

If I may add something... an option to choose whether to show the variable name or description/label would be great (like in SPSS). Sometimes variables names are not what I want to show in table or graph...let's say I won't use special characters (like ěščřžýáíéť, as I am Czech) in variable names, but I would need them time from time in my outputs.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

you can still use special characters in variable names (let us know if you find a problem with this).

but yeah, i have been thinking about a toggle, where you can use the descriptions instead -- for people who like the SPSS behaviour.

jonathon
Vit

Post by Vit »

I never had an issue with special characters in jamovi...

But it is just safer practice not to use them, especially when sharing data files with other people using different software or from different countries. Encoding is a frequent cause of headaches.

The toggle switch would be nice!
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

in jamovi, everything is encoded in utf-8, irrespective of country, etc. so you should feel free to use international characters with abandon!
HoracioSD

Post by HoracioSD »

Hi, I would like to know how to see the labels in the outputs (for example in frequency tables or plots). Or how to choose to display labels or variable names (similar to SPSS).

Thanks
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi,

jamovi always displays the labels in the frequency tables and plots.

if you open the variable editor (either F3, double click on the column header, or select 'setup' from the data tab) that will give you a list of the values and their corresponding labels.

cheers