Terminate execution / Processing notification

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
hayaku

Terminate execution / Processing notification

Post by hayaku »

Hi,

I love Jamovi to pieces. One small suggestion, hopefully easy to implement.

Sometimes, Jamovi becomes completely unresponsive. Ctl + Alt + Esc reveals that Jamovi.exe / Electron is consuming ~20% CPU indefinitely, which typically means I have loaded up an analysis which will either take some minutes, or simply hangs an never completes.

Perhaps a small notification (ie, green/red orb) somewhere in the GUI could be used to tell the user that something is currently consuming CPU for processing, and has not yet completed?

Furthermore, some simple way to "break" this process / Terminate execution would be very useful, since I currently have to use task manager to do this, when accidentally loading up an analysis which will take too long,

Hope this is in pipeline for future releases!

J
vekdh

Re: Terminate execution / Processing notification

Post by vekdh »

I think hayaku is onto something here. Has there been any thoughts regarding a "terminate execution" function?
I tried running a Negative Binomial Generalized Linear Model via GLAMj today and due to the default of inclusion of interactions terms, the model quickly ballooned. I only wanted main effects so removed interactions but by then my CPU usage was at 48%. It took 3hrs to complete the analysis. A function to terminate a process early, especially if the model is mis-specified, would save a great time of time and computing power.