List of universities using jamovi to teach stats

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
DeborahA

List of universities using jamovi to teach stats

Post by DeborahA »

Hi all,

Is there a list anywhere of the universities (both in Australia and overseas) that are using jamovi to teach statistics? One of my students asked this today on the discussion forum and I realised I did not have an answer! I'm hearing there are more and more universities moving in this direction, and this would also be useful in convincing my colleagues to make the shift.

Thanks!

Deborah.
JorgeCamachoS

Re: List of universities using jamovi to teach stats

Post by JorgeCamachoS »

Hi, we use jamovi for teaching statistics at BS and MS on health sciences in public and private universities here in Costa Rica, Central America. The software is friendly, open source, multi-platform, with a lot of statistical tools, well documented and Jamovi team reply any question quickly.

Jorge Camacho S
University for Medical Sciences (UCIMED)
Bobafett

Post by Bobafett »

Good idea! At Sheffield Hallam University in the UK, I made the jump to jamovi 4 years ago for one of our Masters awards in Psychology. This has now spread out and pretty much all our Psychology degrees (BSc & MSc) use jamovi for their statistical modules.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

yeah, it would be good for us to put together something like this.

i think basically *all* if not very close to all australian uni's are using jamovi in some form.

last i heard, utas were looking to discontinue their spss license.

jonathon
rheredia@tamiu.edu

Post by rheredia@tamiu.edu »

Hello!!!

Texas A&M International University uses jamovi for Basic Stats for Psychology (PSYC 2317). Most of the psychology faculty uses it too.

Roberto
Laredo, Texas
DeborahA

Post by DeborahA »

Thanks all! Jonathan, I've been using it at UNE (Armidale) for a few years now in my 4th year Research Methods course, but there is a lot of resistance to introducing it for the major undergraduate stats courses. It would be useful for my case to have a list of which Australian universities are using it for which undergraduate courses - I'd love to see this on the jamovi website! (Even better to see all the international universities, but my colleagues will be more persuaded by the Australian data.)
Arnaud Mortier

Post by Arnaud Mortier »

Hi all,
We use it here at the Psychology department in Caen, Normandy (France).
Arnaud
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi deborah,

the information i have on different australian uni's is pretty incomplete. i know that uni newcastle, and uni tasmania have adopted jamovi across stats programs across all disciplines (psychology, nursing, etc. etc.) -- but i only know this because i work for these unis. unsw have adopted it across first and second years of psych -- but again, i only know that because i've got contacts there.

we infer that the other uni's are using us because they show up in our analytics -- uni's usually host their course notes at uniname.edu.au, and when someone clicks a link to www.jamovi.org, we find out where they're coming from (note that this is not the same as a person from a uni simply visiting jamovi.org ... they need to be clicking a link on a web page hosted at .edu.au ... and this is usually course notes, so we can be moderately confident this traffic reflects traffic from course notes). when there's a lot of visits coming from these domains, then we can be very confident that uni has adopted jamovi across courses in a fairly substantial way.

here is a list of uni's that generate substantial traffic in this way. note that depending on how the uni's CMS is configured, they can actually conceal the origin of the traffic. at a guess, this is what is happening with uni newcastle, because they don't show up in the list at all! ... so if anything this list under-represents usage :)

ecu.edu.au
utas.edu.au
unsw.edu.au
latrobe.edu.au
deakin.edu.au
qut.edu.au
federation.edu.au
uwa.edu.au
canberra.edu.au
sydney.edu.au
cqu.edu.au
uow.edu.au
westernsydney.edu.au
usc.edu.au
curtin.edu.au
glen

Post by glen »

Hi
We introduced it for teaching to UG and taught PG students at Liverpool Hope Psych Dept (UK) a few years ago.

Best wishes
Glen
iainjgallagher

Post by iainjgallagher »

I've been using jamovi for ~3 yrs to teach statistics at the University of Stirling in the UK.

best,

i