workflow for saving & re-loading data

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
MattMcMullen

workflow for saving & re-loading data

Post by MattMcMullen »

I teach a stats class with jamovi, and I have a question about the best way for students to save data once they've made some changes to the dataset.

I provide .csv files mostly, and also some .xlsx and other file types. I have several data sets that they repeatedly use for different analyses, and they'll do some recoded or computed variables that I want them to save back to their data.

If they save back to a .csv file, they lose some of the work that I recommend they do to set up the data, like changing data types (e.g., nominal to continuous), adding descriptions to the variable names, and the like.

But if they save as a jamovi .omv file, all the analyses are retained, and so when they want to use the data set for a new assignment, they need to delete all the previous analyses.

I wonder what is the best way to save just the data, including those modifications like changing data type, without saving all the analyses. Or maybe I'm thinking about it wrong and there's a better workflow to recommend they use.

Thanks.
reason180

Re: workflow for saving & re-loading data

Post by reason180 »

I would handle this type of situation by taking any or all of the following steps:

1. Tell students to save a version of the omv file *before* they conduct any analyses.
2. Make the data available to students as omv files (rather than as csv or Excel files).
jonathon

Re: workflow for saving & re-loading data

Post by jonathon »

you can also right click on the analyses, select 'All' -> 'Remove' ... and all the analyses will disappear.

jonathon