Reading SPSS files

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
BobMuenchen

Reading SPSS files

Post by BobMuenchen »

When the importation of SPSS data sets is implemented, will variable labels be included? The haven::read_spss function imports them, but not many R functions use them. Here's an example of some R functions that use labels nicely, though I don't know if they're compatible with the way haven imports them: https://strengejacke.wordpress.com/2014 ... -r-rstats/.

Similarly, haven::labelled_spss handles user-defined missing values, but I don't know of any functions that process them.

haven does a really nice job importing the various types of SAS and Stata files too.
jonathon

Re: Reading SPSS files

Post by jonathon »

i expect we'll *only* use the labels. whatever underlying (8 character) ID the computer uses in the background isn't relevant to the user.
BobMuenchen

Post by BobMuenchen »

Var labels are the main thing. I rarely see people using the user-defined missing value labels.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

In the latest 0.8.5 release!
BobMuenchen

Post by BobMuenchen »

I just tested it & it's working great. Thanks!
jykn

Post by jykn »

Hi Jonathan,
First of all, I really wanted to thank you and the JAMOVI team for making such a great user-friendly software for teaching statistics in our nursing class.
Anyway, I had a similar related question to this thread if that is OK. When importing large .sav file to JAMOVI, it does not include value labels or missing values (e.g., 9, 999, etc); however, opening in PSPP (open source program) had no issues. I think the workaround was to open in R with haven package (then adding labels and missing values) but I would like to open it using JAMOVI directly if possible. Here is the link to the data: https://ln4.sync.com/dl/ea1f804a0/a46pzijg-xyfy3zei-4xmp4f7q-t4fcgxp9

Any thoughts and direction would be much appreciated.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

yeah, start a new thread next time. this one is from 2018.

if you're using a recent version of jamovi, then it should honour missing values from .sav files. as can be seen here, the appropriate values are flagged as missing:
Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 14.13.10.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 14.13.10.png (153.14 KiB) Viewed 10434 times
cheers
jykn

Post by jykn »

Ok thanks so much and it worked with the most recent version. FYI, the open tab for .sav file works (with the labels and missing values added) but not the import tab. Anyway, very excited to be teaching JAMOVI (instead of SPSS) to undergrad students this fall!