Just being curious... JASP vs jamovi

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
dr_Primus

Just being curious... JASP vs jamovi

Post by dr_Primus »

So... Since jamovi is related to JASP.... I wanted to give JASP a go to see what are the differences... This are my (statistics layman) observations.

Everything is tested using MacBook Air (early 2015, i5 8G RAM, High Sierra)

1. jamovi has automatic updates.... very nice touch (who knows maybe JASP has them as well, but I just installed the most recent version)
2. jamovi has syntax mode and nicer GUI (I am a sucker for blue color)
3. jamovi doesn't require Xquartz to run (but it seems to me that it runs a little bit slower) - btw... how come that there are no jamovi menus in MacOS menu bar?
4. tables made in JASP are a bit nicer (less whitespace) when doing copy paste to MS Word, but on the other hand I can save jamovi tables as PDFs
5. jamovi's functionality can be extended with modules!
6. jamovi has motivated me to start learning R - I got my PhD degree two weeks ago, and statistics has become my hobby :)
7. jamovi has a phenomenal data editor, with row filtering and computed variables - this is the most important feature!!!

I have recommended jamovi to all my colleagues (most of them have pirated copies of SPSS or Graphpad Prism - I have tried a 30 day trial of Prism and IMHO it is too complicated to use and not worth the price with these wonderful open source alternatives).

Anyway... I am about to submit an article on CPR survival with two of my residents (sample of 1440 patients) and all the data analysis was made using jamovi - once the article is accepted I hope that more people will become interested in jamovi.
jonathon

Re: Just being curious... JASP vs jamovi

Post by jonathon »

:)
dr_Primus

Post by dr_Primus »

One more question... What happened between you guys and JASP guys... Why did jamovi fork from JASP?
I hope I am not being rude for asking such a question... I'm just being curious
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

haha, no worries. here's a couple of interviews that will fill you in:

http://blog.efpsa.org/2017/03/23/introd ... ower-of-r/

this is an earlier one on the history of jasp:

http://blog.efpsa.org/2015/09/01/introd ... lace-spss/

jonathon
dr_Primus

Post by dr_Primus »