Bar plots for t-tests and ANOVA?

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
srowell

Bar plots for t-tests and ANOVA?

Post by srowell »

Hello,
The jamovi software is great and I really appreciate all the work that's gone into it. I'm planning to use it for teaching a research methods in psychology class in the fall and I expect the students will really like it too!

I was wondering whether there are any plans to add an option to the t-test and ANOVA descriptive plots where the user can choose to have bar plots instead of point/line plots.

Thanks,
Shaina
coledavis

Re: Bar plots for t-tests and ANOVA?

Post by coledavis »

Hi J, R and D - I can pass you some useful R code for this if and as needed. C
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Hi Shaina,
Thank you for the kind words! We are always very happy when people start using jamovi for teaching :slightly_smiling_face:

We have no immediate plans to allow people to choose bar charts instead of point/line charts for t-tests/ANOVAs. I'm a bit weary of using bar charts with the goal of showing differences in means, mostly because bar charts usually have an absolute zero point. It's very common to have negative or very large means. Trying to convey these means in a bar chart is either impossible (with negative means) or could cloud from showing the difference in means (with very large means). Why would you like to have this option?

Cheers,
Ravi
srowell

Post by srowell »

Hi Ravi,
Thanks for your reply!

I would like to have this option because I want my students to have experience with multiple types of graphs that are commonly used by researchers in the field, bar charts for means being one of those (although I understand your frustrations with them...).

Thanks,
Shaina