Advanced graphics options

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
RHainez

Re: Advanced graphics options

Post by RHainez »

Yes, yes, yes! I just saw them and played around with the function. It's delicious :)

Thank you very much!
ArlenMer

Post by ArlenMer »

jonathon wrote:Yes, yes, yes! I just saw them and played around with the function. It's delicious :)

Thank you very much!
Awesome!
Last edited by ArlenMer on Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RHainez

Post by RHainez »

Hi,

Still about the advanced graphic options, PCA outputs are often shown as a PC biplot which is very easy to grasp, such as this example with the wine dataset : https://stats.stackexchange.com/questio ... ca-edition

Do you think it could be possible to give the user the possibility to generate such a plot in the PCA tab?

Have a nice day, cheers :)
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

This is a bit of a tricky one because this plot will only work when there are two components. Usually I want to make the options as general as possible. Let me give it some thought.

In other news, we added a module that allows you to do scatter plots in jamovi. It's called scatr and you can install it directly from the jamovi library.

Cheers
RHainez

Post by RHainez »

Hi,

Thank you for your quick answer. I asked about the PCA biplot because it's very common in biology (especially in agricultural sciences, ecology or molecular biology where we deal with many observations). I don't really know about the other science fields, maybe it's not that common?

And thank you for the scatr module, I'll look into it this afternoon.

Cheers, keep up the good work :)
RHainez

Post by RHainez »

Hi Ravi,

I was wondering if you had a chance to give it a thought and what are your conclusions and decision about adding biplot to the PCA tab?
I enjoy the 0.8, it's a great release :)

Keep up the good work
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Thanks! Yeah, I have thought about it, and I think it would be nice for teaching to include the biplot. I just haven't figured out how to communicate clearly that this plot will only be shown when there are two components. Adding the plot is pretty easy, making it fit nicely in the existing UI is the problem here.

So yeah, I first have to figure this out before I will implement it and sometimes it takes a bit of time before the penny drops :slightly_smiling_face:
RHainez

Post by RHainez »

Hi Ravi,

Thank you for taking this into consideration. So it's more a software ergonomics problem than a programmin issue? That's a tricky one.

If it can help, when it comes to the PCA biplot subject, I like two software approaches (I used the iris dataset):

- the informative, comprehensive and colorful approach of OrangeCanvas with its zoom/symbol size options (and with the "Find informative projections" button, cherished by my students)

- the more minimaslistic approach of PAST3 (but it lacks customization options)

Both let you choose the PC's you want to display via a dropdown menu.

Keep up the good work.
Attachments
PCA_iris_PAST3.jpg
PCA_iris_PAST3.jpg (200.31 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
PCA_iris_OrangeCanvas.jpg
PCA_iris_OrangeCanvas.jpg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Yeah, the PAST3 way might work. We first need to make some changes in the UI developer tools though, so it will not be added very short term.
RHainez

Post by RHainez »

Ok, glad to hear about it and thank you for taking this into consideration :)

Keep up the good work