Feature Request: Ability to set the data range of an axis

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
reason180

Feature Request: Ability to set the data range of an axis

Post by reason180 »

jamovi's plots are already quite good. I know there are plans to include editable plots in the future. However, it's already possible to do some limited editing by exporting the plot as a PDF and then using something like LibreOffice draw to edit the PDF. But PDF editing can't be used to change the data range on a plot's vertical or horizontal axis. It's sometimes crucial to be able to control that range as a way to keep it consistent across two or more related plots (so as not to mislead those viewing the plot). So it would be nice have this feature to built into jamovi.
filination

Re: Feature Request: Ability to set the data range of an axi

Post by filination »

I second that request. This is especially important with multiple DVs that all need to be presented on the same data range scale. This is an important feature needed to be able to address submission guidelines in journals. Everytime reviewers point this out, we need to redo analyses and shift to R.
reason180

Post by reason180 »

It also creates issues for teaching. I spent a lot of time in class trying to answer a student.s question about why an effect was larger in the context of one statistical model than in another, only to have another student eventually discover that the two graphs of the results had different ranges on the y axis. So the "difference" in effects was only an apparent difference--an artifact of the axis ranges being inconsistent across graphs.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

yup. i hear you.

definitely on the todo list.

cheers
snow

Post by snow »

Hi Jonathon,

is there hope that a feature will be added in the near future to edit the figures in jamovi? ;)

Thanks and best
Martin
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi snow,

it won't be super-soon. that we don't have this, definitely eats away at me during the night :)

cheers

jonathon
reason180

Post by reason180 »

With a little editing of font sizes, this figure could be ready for use in a conference presentation. But I'm wondering if the audience will be too misled by the different ranges on the vertical axis. ;-)
Attachments
Picture11.gif
Picture11.gif (143.06 KiB) Viewed 8228 times
simoc

Post by simoc »

As quite some time has passed since this discussion, i wondered if there is any predicted Date of introduction of this feature? I would need jamovi to create Graphs for my thesis by June this year, and it would be very helpful, if all the Graphs comparing the Same Data would be scaled equally.
Thank you for your work!
reason180

Post by reason180 »

As an interim measure, simply have jamovi generate a table of the relevant to-be-plotted statistics (e.g. a table of estimated marginal means and standard errors) and then use Excel to make the plot.
jamovi_rookie

Post by jamovi_rookie »

I'm using jamovi well. If only the label range can be modified in the graph, it seems to be really useful. thank you