Advanced Analysis Options

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
ColeNap

Advanced Analysis Options

Post by ColeNap »

Hey Jamovi Team,
Really awesome work on the statistical package! I have enjoyed the evolution of new analyses that have been added over time and I use it for work all the time.

Just curious, with the increasing use of "data science" techniques (such as, decision trees, support vector machines, neural networks, etc.) being employed in the social sciences, have you all considered adding them to your analysis roadmap? This could be similar to the offerings of R packages such as Rattle. I think Jamovi would really take off by combining these offerings with the already great work you have done.

What do you think?

ColeNap
Ravi

Re: Advanced Analysis Options

Post by Ravi »

Hi ColeNap,
Great to hear that you enjoy working with jamovi! One of the main goals of jamovi is to be a community project where anybody that wants to contribute can easily do so. Therefore, we tried to make it as easy as possible to implement modules for jamovi (it's very similar to developing an R package, see https://dev.jamovi.org/tuts0101-getting-started.html). The idea is that we (the jamovi team) provide a basic set of analyses, and that more advanced analyses are left for the community to implement. This way, the analyses are implemented by people with the right expertise. Having said that, we do think these "data science" techniques are important to have, so we will be actively seeking out their implementation (e.g., by contacting "experts", offering collaborations, etc.).

Cheers