How is d from paired t-test calculated?

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
RickCarlsson

How is d from paired t-test calculated?

Post by RickCarlsson »

First: Amazing job. Jamovi is absolutely fantastic. We are retiring SPSS department wide.

Now to my question: How is d calculated for paired sampe t-tests? There are several ways and knowing which is important.

In general it would, especially for teaching, be great to learn the mathematical formula behind different tests. Is there some simple way to access that? It’s not detailed in the R package.
jonathon

Re: How is d from paired t-test calculated?

Post by jonathon »

hi rick,

great you guys are able to move beyond spss.

at present, the easiest way is to dive into the scripts underlying each analysis. here's the relevant section for cohen's d for the paired samples t-test:

https://github.com/jamovi/jmv/blob/mast ... .R#L54-L66

longer term we want to provide good documentation of course.

with thanks

jonathon
RickCarlsson

Post by RickCarlsson »

This works for me :) Thanks!
Nat

Post by Nat »

Hi, I would like to know is there any way to calculate effect size relative to raw score instead of difference score, in paired-sample t-test.

on page 272 of the latest version of user-guide:
" To the extent that you care about the practical consequences of your research, you often want to measure the effect size relative to the original variables, not the difference scores (e.g., the 1% improvement in Dr Chico’s class over time is pretty small when measured against the amount of between-student variation in grades), in which case you use the same versions of Cohen’s d that you would use for a Student or Welch test. It’s not so straightforward to do this in jamovi; essentially you have to change the structure of the data in the spreadsheet view so I won’t go into that here, but the Cohen’s d for this perspective is quite different: it is 0.22 which is quite small when assessed on the scale of the original variables."

Firstly, could you please specify what do you mean by "against the amount of between-student variation in grades"?

Secondly, I can't find the jamovi file mentioned in note 12: "If you are interested, you can look at how this was done in the chico2.omv file" (I would like to see how you "change the structure of the data")

Thanks a lot!
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi, could you start a new thread?

i'm unfamiliar with this user guide i'm afraid -- i'm not actually sure what you're refering to.

cheers

jonathon
Nat

Post by Nat »

oh sorry about that...

sure, let me make a new post