Filter for variables

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
acescos

Filter for variables

Post by acescos »

Hello!
This is a suggestion to include an element for improving the use of the software.
It would be useful to include a tool for variable filtering to use in the variable list window to select for estimation.
With many variables into a database, it takes a long time to scroll to the useful variables to perform the estimate.
There could be several ways to implement it.
For example, by right-clicking on the window that lists variables and giving the option to alphabetically order the variable list.
Another useful implementation is used by JGR, including a little window above the window that lists the variables, and in that little window, you can write the characters of the variables to filter. As a result, into the variable window are listed the variables matching to criterion.
Cheers!
jonathon

Re: Filter for variables

Post by jonathon »

hey,

yeah, that's a great idea. as we're increasingly used with large datasets, i agree that can be an issue.

cheers

jonathon
stevekass

Post by stevekass »

We use SPSS in our introductory course, and we've started to look at Jamovi as a possible alternative. I found this thread because we’d also like to see an option to list variables in alphabetical order (when choosing them for analysis, not necessarily in the data table view). A search box above the variable list, like acescos suggests, would be a good alternative.

I inserted an image of where Alphabetical is an option in SPSS (Edit > Options). There are many other options we never use in SPSS, but this one or the filter/search box would be especially handy! I hope this is still on your radar.Image
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

if you're using a recent version of jamovi (1.2+ i think), there's a search button to the top right of the variables list. does that help?
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 11.03.26.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 11.03.26.png (13.88 KiB) Viewed 2569 times