Feature request: text search

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
Wake

Feature request: text search

Post by Wake »

Hi Jon,

My current answer to a student wanting to know whether a given text string is in a cell is to export to csv, use =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("needle",A1)),1,0) in Excel and then paste the new column back into jamovi. A few more jamovi functions for filters and computations would be great.

While I'm here, I do love the ability to save transformations such that I can apply them to other variables or edit (correct) them.

Cheers,

Wakefield
jonathon

Re: Feature request: text search

Post by jonathon »

hey,

oh yup, it's easy enough to add additional functions, but what's your use-case here? something like whether an open ended survey response included the word "very"?

cheers

jonathon
Wake

Post by Wake »

One use is, as you suggest, for picking out key words in an open ended response. However, the most important use is for splitting variables from checkbox style questions (tick all that apply) in software like Google Forms (see attachment).

In that circumstance it would be great to have a single function that can comma separate the contents of a variable and then automatically split it into columns based on the available responses (e.g. Option 2, Option 4, Option 5) with a 1 for ticked a 0 for not ticked and a missing value for nothing ticked.

However, another use case is whether someone picks or types several items in an arbitrary order and you want to code whether each option has appeared in any of the resulting variables.

A function like CONTAINS(needles IN haystacks) would be far more versatile, especially if it could accept one or more needles and one or more haystacks.

Cheers,

Wake
Attachments
multiple response questions.png
multiple response questions.png (67.74 KiB) Viewed 13052 times
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

oh yup, sounds good. could you create an issue on our gh page? my heads a bit full at the moment, and it will ensure i don't forget it.

cheers

jonathon
m.alarfaj

Post by m.alarfaj »

I m also looking for whether a given text string is in a cell by JAMOVI?

How to do that?
Wake

Post by Wake »

Sorry -- now added to https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues/1107
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

oh, for anyone finding this thread, there is a CONTAINS() function in recent versions.