Analysis of Data for Psychology Dissertation (Please help)

Discuss statistics related things

by grk99 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:19 pm

Hi,

I have attached an image of my data on Jamovi after gathering data from participants using an online questionnaire.

I am investigating the effect of pre-term birth AND low birth weight on psychosocial outcomes in adolescence/adulthood. Therefore, as you can see from the image, participants first disclosed if they were pre/full term, then disclosed the age they were born in weeks, then disclosed their weight at birth (I converted all to KG). They then completed a questionnaire on ADHD symptoms, life satisfaction, self-esteem and quality of relationships.

I am so confused what statistical tests to run with what variables, I seem to be going round in circles. I understand there will be several correlations involved, but can anyone shed any ideas on how they would deal with this data?

I have computed totals for each scale. But how do I deal with the first set of information regarding the pre-full term, weeks and weight?
Attachments
Screenshot (62).png
Screenshot (62).png (90.15 KiB) Viewed 519 times
Last edited by grk99 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grk99

by Bobafett » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:20 am

The lack of help from your University regarding the statistics seems a shame, but I guess as we are well into August you have passed the cut-off date for contacting your supervisor? There are a myriad of ways you could go about analysing your data: correlations, t-tests, linear / logistic regression, MANOVA etc.... I guess it all depends on what your hypotheses are? What is the research question you are trying to answer?
Bobafett

by grk99 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:58 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry - I should have included the questions I’m trying to answer!

• Is premature birth a risk factor for long-term psychosocial outcomes?

• Do gestational age at birth and birth weight status affect the severity of psychosocial outcomes in adulthood?
Last edited by grk99 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grk99

by Bobafett » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:02 pm

grk99 wrote:• Is premature birth a risk factor for long-term psychosocial outcomes?

You have a dichotomous grouping variable (full vs. pre) and so could compare these two groups on each single psychosocial measure you have used. If, as I suspect, you have multiple psychosocial DVs then you could perform a MANOVA instead and look to see if your groups can be separated across these measures.

grk99 wrote:• Do gestational age at birth and birth weight status affect the severity of psychosocial outcomes in adulthood?

These sound like correlations, possibly regression.

The details you mention make me think I know your supervisor. Please DM me.
Bobafett

Return to Statistics