Testing whether the rank ordering of items between two group

Discuss statistics related things

by Whirly123 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:25 pm

Putting this really simply, I will have data from two different groups of participants where they rank order the "moral worth" of a set of non-human animals. I want to be able to test whether the rank ordering between the two groups is significantly different.

Is there an appropriate test in Jamovi for this sort of analysis? A cursory look at different ways to test this leads me to State-trace analysis which might be too in-depth for what I need (or maybe that is exactly right, just wanted to check if there was a simpler approach).
Whirly123

by MAgojam » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:36 pm

Hi, @Whirly123.
I think a simpler approach than STA is to try the Friedman test you find in jamovi [Analysis-> ANOVA-> Repeated Measures ANOVA (Non-parametric)].

Regards,
Maurizio

Update
Maybe Jonathon can say more for STA.
Here's something of hers.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229160801_An_R_package_for_state-trace_analysis
MAgojam

by Whirly123 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:32 pm

That doesn't seem quite right (unless I doing it wrong).

My data could look like this:
dat.jpg
dat.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 568 times

And Friedman's won't let me test between groups 1 and 2.
Whirly123

by MAgojam » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Whirly123 wrote:That doesn't seem quite right (unless I doing it wrong).
My data could look like this:

Hi, @ Whirly123.
With the recorded data (wide type) as in the screenshot you attached, you can't do much with the Friedman test available in jamovi, but most of all you can't check if the order of the ranks between the two groups is significantly different.
The data should be organized in long type, and aggregated on the mean of the ranks before a Friedman test with the verification of the two groups.
For simplicity, if you find it useful, I am attaching a jamovi file with fake data similar to yours and a small R script in the Rj module.
The R code will create a data frame from wide to long mode and aggregate them with the rank averages and then the friedman.test() function will do the required verification for the two groups.
moral_worth.omv
(4.97 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Cheers,
Maurizio

Suggestion:
You may be interested in the book "Statistical Methods for Ranking Data" by Mayer Alvo and Philip L.H. Yu, Springer 2014.
MAgojam

Return to Statistics