Fisher exact test statistic

Discuss statistics related things
JorgeCamachoS

Fisher exact test statistic

Post by JorgeCamachoS »

Dear Jamoviers:

Past versions of jamovi included the value of Fisher exact test statistic as well the associate probability. The 2.3.9 version include de probability but not the statistic value. Could you include this value?

Thanks in advance for your support

Jorge Camacho
reason180

Re: Fisher exact test statistic

Post by reason180 »

There's a test statistic for Fisher's exact test?
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

Past versions of jamovi included the value of Fisher exact test statistic as well the associate probability. The 2.3.9 version include de probability but not the statistic value. Could you include this value?
i don't think we've changed anything here ... are you saying an option that used to be there, is no longer there?

jonathon
JorgeCamachoS

Post by JorgeCamachoS »

Dear Jonathon:

In an old analysis, using a past version of Jamovi, I got a value for Fisher Exact test as well as the related probability. The 2 x 2 table was:

Output1 Output2
Trat1 9 3
Trat2 4 9

The statistics value was 6.181 and the probability 0.0472.

Thanks for your support

Jorge Camacho
Attachments
FET.png
FET.png (166.09 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
MAgojam

Post by MAgojam »

Hey Jorge,
the elegant question from @reason180
reason180 wrote:There's a test statistic for Fisher's exact test?
suggests that there is no statistic for Fisher's exact test.
The reported value, returned from the stats::fisher.test(...)$estimate test used, for a 2x2 table was the odds ratio, but in a larger table it was always NULL.
The exact test does not have a statistic, it directly provides a p-value.
I believe there was a fix for the contingency table in jamovi's v1.6.5 that changed the code to only show the p-value for the exact test (Value always blank) to avoid misunderstanding with the estimation as Value.

Take a look at the screenshot.
Fisher's exact test.png
Fisher's exact test.png (70.29 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
Cheers,
Maurizio
reason180

Post by reason180 »

I used to think I understood Fisher' exact test, but now I don't think I do. I've been under the impression that Fisher's exact test is a special case of a permutation test. See https://journals.physiology.org/doi/pdf ... 00072.2012

However, if that's true, there would need to be a test statistic. For example: When all possible re-pairings of the levels of the X variable with the levels of the Y variable, ____% of the time is the observed difference between two proportions at least as large as it was prior to the re-pairings. So I wonder if either the odds ratio is THE permutation test statistic, if the difference between two proportions is THE permutation statistic, or if the result is the same regardless of which of those statistics is used? (Presumably the odds ratio and the difference between two proportions are monotonic functions of each other.)
JorgeCamachoS

Post by JorgeCamachoS »

Dear reason180:

Thanks for your reply about Fisher exact test

Best regards,

Jorge Camacho S