Converting Variables (lbs/kg?)

Discuss statistics related things
grk99

Converting Variables (lbs/kg?)

Post by grk99 »

Hi,

My dissertation is on the Impact of Premature Birth on Psychosocial Outcomes in Adolescence. For my data collection, I have distributed an online questionnaire. Part of the questionnaire asks participants if they were born pre-term or full-term, then asks them to provide an approximate weight they were when born, in either lbs or kg. Obviously, everyone has done different, therefore what would be the best way to analyse this please? I'm thinking convert them all to kilograms. Does anyone recommend anything different?

Thanks
Bobafett

Re: Converting Variables (lbs/kg?)

Post by Bobafett »

I think you'll find the standard convention in this area would be to report birthweight using the metric system (grams) rather than imperial (oz or lbs) as it is far easier and more intuitive to work with.

I'd *like* to say you can set up a simple transformation rule in which lbs/oz values can be recoded into grams (and grams kept as is), but I daresay you may probably have to do this manually as the formatting of typed responses from your participants may well give you a raft of text-based answers that do not permit themselves to be neatly converted... :/