Choosing Correlated vs Uncorrelated Factors CFA in Jamovi

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
debbiecorey

Choosing Correlated vs Uncorrelated Factors CFA in Jamovi

Post by debbiecorey »

Hello,

How do I select correlated vs uncorrelated factors option; or orthogonal vs oblique rotation option for Confirmatory Factor Analysis in JAMOVI? I see how to do this in Exploratory Factor Analysis but I don't see an option in JAMOVI. If there is no option, then is JAMOVI assuming correlated or uncorrelated factors, or orthogonal or oblique rotation? Thanks! Debbie
Ravi

Re: Choosing Correlated vs Uncorrelated Factors CFA in Jamov

Post by Ravi »

Hi Debbie,

Confirmatory factor analysis does not use any form of rotation. Rotation is used in exploratory factor analysis (and PCA) to find structure in your data. However, in a confirmatory factor analysis you base this structure on theory, so you actually define the model yourself and don't use rotation to figure it out for you. The factor correlations are freely estimated parameters in this CFA model, so it doesn't assume anything about the correlations. It's not possible to fix the factor correlations to a value of 0 at the moment, so if you want that it's best to lavaan in R for now.

Cheers,
Ravi
debbiecorey

Post by debbiecorey »

Hi Ravi,
Thank you for your reply. In AMOS there is a check box that says allow the factors to correlate. Could you let me know whether JAMOVI's set up is equivalent to choosing to allow the factors to correlate in AMOS or choosing not to? I understand we don't have that choice in JAMOVI but want to see which AMOS calculation (correlated or uncorrelated) JAMOVI is equivalent to. Thanks. Debbie
debbiecorey

Post by debbiecorey »

PS: In other words, does freely estimated parameters mean the factors are allowed or not allowed to correlate? My guess is allowed because there are no restrictions but want to make sure.
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Hi Debbie,
Yup, it indeed means that the factors are allowed to correlate in jamovi.
debbiecorey

Post by debbiecorey »

Thank you so much!