Stacked Box Plots not possible

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
Lina

Stacked Box Plots not possible

Post by Lina »

Hello,

I have a problem with the box plot function. I want to create several box plots in one graphic, which doesn't seem possible with my data. I have the data for my 3 variables (forgetting test, forgetting restudy, forgetting jol) and can get seperate plots for each one, but not one for all in the same graphic. Do I have to create a 4th predictive variable "forgetting group" (the groups being test, restudy, jol)? If yes, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance and happy xmas days! Lina
jonathon

Re: Stacked Box Plots not possible

Post by jonathon »

hi lina,

yes, if you want the 3 in the same graphic, you'll need to convert them to long format (one column for the values, and one column for the group). the easiest way to do that is simply to copy/paste the values into a new column.

cheers

jonathon
Lina

Post by Lina »

Deleted
Last edited by Lina on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lina

Post by Lina »

jonathon wrote:hi lina,

yes, if you want the 3 in the same graphic, you'll need to convert them to long format (one column for the values, and one column for the group). the easiest way to do that is simply to copy/paste the values into a new column.

cheers

jonathon
At the risk of sounding stupid : I still don't know how to do that. If I copy the data into new columns, I still have the same problem (only with slightly different variable names). This is my first time using jamovi so I'm really at a loss here...how do I create the group and how do I connect it to the 3 data sets?
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hey, no worries.

so in the first screenshot (below) i've got the variables A, B, C ... data in what we call 'wide format' ... i believe this is the format your data is in. i've created two more columns 'value' and 'group' and this is the same data rearranged into 'long format'. this is how you want to rearrange your data.

in the second screenshot you can see that i'm requesting box plots of 'value', and grouping by 'group'. does this do what you need? makes sense?

kind regards
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 11.28.03.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 11.28.03.png (55.23 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 11.28.21.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 11.28.21.png (182.05 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
Lina

Post by Lina »

jonathon wrote:hi lina,

cheers

jonathon
Aaaah, ok, got it now!!! Thank you so much.