error when recoding variables

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
abbylcoats

error when recoding variables

Post by abbylcoats »

When I try to recode variables in the latest version of Jamovi, I get an error message that says, "Column (variable name) does not exist in the dataset" even though it is in the dataset. See picture. Thank you for any help!! - Abby
Attachments
screenshot of error message when recoding
screenshot of error message when recoding
error message when recoding.png (142.31 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
reason180

Re: error when recoding variables

Post by reason180 »

I've found that variable names with spaces and atypical characters may not work well in jamovi. If you enclose the variable name in backward quotes, it may work:

`1 - A weird variable name. With spaces, etc.`
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi abby,

could you try using a newer version of jamovi, and if it's still a problem, can you email us the .omv file at contact <at> jamovi.org

(currently we're unaware of any outstanding issues with variables with special characters in them, so if this is an issue, we'd be keen to get to the bottom of it)

with thanks
Bkennedy

Post by Bkennedy »

Hi Abby - I know this is an old thread, but did you by any chance work this out? I currently have a couple students in my class having the same issue while others get by completely fine!

Anything you know that might help would be awesome, thank you!
Brad
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

old thread. start a new one.

(if students are getting 'column X does not exist in the data set', i'd suggest the error message is correct, and that they are not specifying the name of the column correctly)

jonathon