Deleting old data files

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
Carol

Deleting old data files

Post by Carol »

How do we delete files that are no longer needed? Under Data there is: New, Open, Import, Save, Save As and Export - but no Remove. I don’t want old files I don’t need popping up on ‘Recents’ all the time, it is all too easy to make a mistake by clicking on the wrong one if the titles are similar. Even if I relaunch Jamovi from apps it still all comes up. Can you help? sincerely - Carol
jonathon

Re: Deleting old data files

Post by jonathon »

oh, i see. we should probably detect when a file has been deleted, and remove it from the 'recents' list. is that what you're after?

with thanks
Carol

Post by Carol »

Hi Jonathan - so sorry for my tardy response I've been taking a few days off. Yes that's right, I can't remove anything from recents. But before I get to that, I can't delete any data in the first place. Once it has been imported it stays on my system forever - even if I have made a mistake, or need to remove the data for confidentiality reasons. The exception is in the analysis box, where there is a 'remove' option for analyses when you right-click. Or am I missing something - could you kindly advise?
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi carol,

so most software will create and edit files, but deleting files is usually handled by the operating system itself. on windows or macOS, you normally navigate to the folder that contains the file, and delete it using whatever file browser comes with the operating system.

this isn't a task that software that you install (like jamovi, or microsoft office) usually performs.

cheers

jonathon