Student can't open Jamovi

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
mringenb

Student can't open Jamovi

Post by mringenb »

Hello

I am a university professor who teaches stats and research. I am interested in switching from using SPSS to Jamovi. I was going to make this transition anyway but now with everyone working at a distance it appears even more important.

I gave the students instructions for downloading Jamovi and we are just starting to create a database together (everyone with their own database on their computer but the same data). One student, however, has had trouble getting started. I "met" with her today and she showed me the stesp she took. It downloaded just fine and a file was visible among her other downloads on her g drive (google document sharing). But she was unable to open it. When she clicks on it, nothing happens. She also tried clicking and dragging it to the desktop. No success.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Matt
decuser

Re: Student can't open Jamovi

Post by decuser »

Hey Matt, what doesn't work? When you say, she was unable to open 'it', what is it? the Jamovi installer, a Jamovi file, or something else?
mringenb

Post by mringenb »

Thanks,

The Jamovi program would not open. It appears to be installed.
decuser

Post by decuser »

Mac or PC? If it's a Mac, try right clicking and selecting Open (Gatekeeper could be an issue). If it's a PC, good luck :)
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi @mringenb

if she's using a mac, see if the 1.2 series of jamovi works for her.

kind regards
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

if you really get stuck, i'm going to try making a web-based version of jamovi available in the next few days, which will work on any device (with a web-browser). to begin with i'd like a small pool of users, so if you've got the odd student having difficulties, they'd be perfect.

jonathon
pgtpg

Post by pgtpg »

jonathon wrote:if you really get stuck, i'm going to try making a web-based version of jamovi available in the next few days, which will work on any device (with a web-browser). to begin with i'd like a small pool of users, so if you've got the odd student having difficulties, they'd be perfect.
Hi,

I'm teaching stats at university too, with jamovi. A web-based version of jamovi would be very useful, specially for our students having those kind of issues.

Cheers,

Pierre-Guillaume
DeborahA

Post by DeborahA »

Hi Jonathan,

I am also having this issue with a student who is using Windows 7, and suspect it may be because it is a 32-bit Windows install. I would LOVE to have access to a web-based version if at all possible in the next week or so. I don’t think this student is capable enough to work with R and probably can’t afford SPSS.

Thanks!

Deborah.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi deborah,

drop us a line at contact <at> jamovi.org, and i'll see what i can do.

jonathon