SOLVED: Import from limesurvey?

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
stats2019

SOLVED: Import from limesurvey?

Post by stats2019 »

Hi,

I am using Limesurvey ( https://www.limesurvey.org/ ) for questionaires. Limesurvey can export as CSV and to R (is .csv extension). But Limesurvey can also export the R code to set up the correct datatype, options, labels etc.
I tried to import the R data and use Rj to run the R syntax file. It had no effect :-( As there is no output from the file I am not even sure, jamovi did run it.
It might be helpful to have another option in Rj to export some confirmation message.

Is there a chance to import the R data file and run the R syntax afterwards - or does this simply not work at the moment.

I am attaching an R data with matching R syntax:
survey_159531_R_syntax_file (1).R
R syntax file, exported from Limesurvey
(39.63 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
survey_159531_R_data_file (1).csv
R data, exported from Limesurvey
(7.04 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Just to report:
Limesurvey can also export SPSS (ealier v16 and after v16) data and syntax. I am unable to import the data file.

Olaf
Last edited by stats2019 on Thu May 07, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathon

Re: Import from limesurvey?

Post by jonathon »

hi,

the Rj Editor can perform analyses and import data, however these are only run inside R. (at this stage) Rj can't be used to import data into the jamovi spreadsheet. if you have a .sav file that jamovi won't open, you can send it through, and i'll see what's going on.

cheers

jonathon
stats2019

Post by stats2019 »

Hi Jonathon,

thanks for the quick reply.
I meant it differently: I did open/import the data using the regular jamovi menu. Once the data is in jamovi, I tried to paste the R syntax code into the Rj (assuming the data is called "data") - and the code did nothing when I executed it.
I also tried to select all code in the Rj window and run - same result - which means: nothing.
Maybe I did something wrong?

Olaf
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

so there should be a 'play' button to the top right of the editor to run the script, and you can also press ctrl+shift+enter to run the script.

cheers

jonathon
stats2019

Post by stats2019 »

Hi jonathan,

yes, I used that - but without any result.
For demonstration I downloaded the two uploaded files (above) and created a little screencast:

Olaf
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi olaf,

yeah, the script is running, but it doesn't produce any output. it also runs very quickly, so you don't see a running indicator.

either way, you're not able to modify the spreadsheet using the Rj editor in this way, so i think the .sav file is probably the way to go.

cheers

jonathon
stats2019

Post by stats2019 »

Hi Jonathan,

>either way, you're not able to modify the spreadsheet using the Rj editor in this way, so i think the .sav file is probably the way to go.

Feature Request: It would be great, if we could use R syntax not only to analyze the data, but adjust the data (type, labels etc.).
I understand, that this is not possible at this time. This is too bad. - Or did I understand you wrong. What file is the .sav file you are mentioning? Data or Syntax?

Olaf
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

yeah, the plan is to have the Rj Editor manipulate the data.

so live survey should provide an spss data file which has a .sav extension on it? you should be able to open that straight into jamovi.

jonathon
stats2019

Post by stats2019 »

Hi

Limesurvey creates a .dat file when I export as SPSS (.dat extension)- but this contains no variable labels, all variable options etc. These have to be added with the (SPSS) syntax file which can also be exported.
I am attaching both files that come from Limesurvey (same survey as the exported R files above)

SPSS Data (from Limesurvey):
survey_159531_SPSS_data_file.zip
SPSS v16+ Data file from Limesurvey, needed to ZIP because .dat extension not allowed here in forum
(355 Bytes) Downloaded 234 times
SPSS Syntax (from Limesurvey):
survey_159531_SPSS_syntax_file.zip
SPSS v16+ Syntax file from Limesurvey, needed to ZIP because .dat extension not allowed here in forum
(3.21 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
At this time I do not see a possibility to manipulate the source data using Rj. This - as written before - would be great as it would enable users to switch back and forth from and to Jamovi and a different R (editor).

Olaf
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hmm, that's weird.

i'd get in touch with lime survey and ask for support for a .sav file. that's definitely the most well supported way to deal with survey data.

jonathon