Crashes while renaming variables

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
chinchu.c

Crashes while renaming variables

Post by chinchu.c »

Blank screen after crash following renaming variables
Blank screen after crash following renaming variables
Jamovi_Blank.jpg (140.29 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
I have downloaded XLSX files from Google Forms. These files have some variable names containing the square bracket ([]) symbol. While I try to run computation with these variables, an error is shown that these variables contain no data. This problem gets solved when I remove the [ ] symbols from the variable names.
However, when I try to rename some of these variables, the software crashes and shows a white blank screen (Photo attached). All unsaved changes are lost when I restart the software.
jonathon

Re: Crashes while renaming variables

Post by jonathon »

hi,

can you confirm that this happens with the most recent version of jamovi, and if it's still and issue, can you create an issue on our issues page (https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi). if you can include the original data file, and detailed steps to reproduce the issue, then we should be able to take it from there.

with thanks

jonathon
arnadufo

Post by arnadufo »

Hi

I am experiencing the exact same problem with Jamovi as I try to rename any variable, the whole window just goes blank. I couldn't find an issue topic on the github page. Have you got any solutions for this problem ?
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi,

unfortunately, this is the second time anyone has reported this, so it's not an issue which comes up very often. is this on a chrome book?

if you're not already using the latest version of jamovi, i'd suggest trying the cloud version:

https://cloud.jamovi.org

kind regards

jonathon
arnadufo

Post by arnadufo »

This is very frustrating..

No I have got a MSI gs66 stealth which is a good machine (I reckon). I am using the 1.8.1 version, and even by launching the debug window first, it still happens. I tried with the recommended version (1.6.23) and it's the same.

Unfortunately, the cloud version here doesn't allow to have more than a hundred rows, which is way less than I need.

Furthermore, I am also unable to export my data as .sav .xpt .dta .sas7bdat or anything that would go on SPSS, which would help me, as I cannot currently progress on my thesis.

Have you got any other tips that I could try ?

Thanks for your replies
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

ah, does the gs66 have an option to switch graphics cards? there's possibly two, one included with the intel CPU, and the discrete graphics. some laptops let you turn off the discrete to save power, or turn it on for max performance.

i think the issue here is in the video driver, so switching video cards might help.

the cloud version should let you use 10,000 rows, rather than 100.

jonathon
arnadufo

Post by arnadufo »

I really don't know if there's a second card and how to switch them
Attachments
and here are my graphics details, not sure there's a second card
and here are my graphics details, not sure there's a second card
ccc.png (105.73 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
here's the message I get on the cloud version
here's the message I get on the cloud version
ooo.png (189.26 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

often dual card laptops are set up to switch cards when they're plugged in/unplugged. so you could try unplugging it and see if that makes a difference.

you'll notice the message on the cloud version is "limited to 100 columns", you could always drop a few unnecessary columns in libreoffice or excel to bring it down under the 100 threshold.

cheers

jonathon
izzyg

Post by izzyg »

Just as an FYI, I know of someone who is having this same issue when they are renaming variables. They are using Jamovi 2.3.18. Their computer is HP Spectre 360 convertible 13 (Windows 11)
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

it would be interesting for them to try the cloud version: https://www.jamovi.org/cloud.html

cheers