[SOLVED] Histograms

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
mbrysbaert

[SOLVED] Histograms

Post by mbrysbaert »

Hi,

I'd like to teach jamovi to my students. One of the topics covered is histograms vs. bar graphs. Typical for histograms is that the bars touch each other (given that they are meant to represent a continuous variable). The current version of jamovi does not do this. Is there a way to change this aspect?

Many thanks in advance,

mb
Ravi

Re: Histograms

Post by Ravi »

Which version of jamovi are you using? In the latest version the histogram bars do touch each other:
mbrysbaert

Post by mbrysbaert »

I just downloaded the lastest version. Strange. I'll try again tomorrow. I only had 12 observations (was for an illustration), but that shouldn't be a factor.

Thank you for the reply.

Best,

Marc
mbrysbaert

Post by mbrysbaert »

No avail. I always get the bar graph, no matter what I try. First, I thought it was because I had entered the numbers as a nominal variable. So, I made a second column in which I first defined the variable as continuous. Unfortunately, doesn't make a difference. I am using Jamovi 0.8.0.8

Here is the screenshot

m
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

So that has something to do with that you only have very few different (integer) values. For these plots I chose to set a fixed bin width, so that every histogram shows the same number of bins. Because there are no values for bin [0.25, 0.75] (this is just an example, I'm not sure about the actual bin range) the bin height is set to 0 and therefore it appears as if there is spacing between the two visible bins.
mbrysbaert

Post by mbrysbaert »

Already thought this was the case. I'll have to tell the students this is one of the limitations of jamovi then :-)

Thx for your help,
silvioaugustojr

Post by silvioaugustojr »

mbrysbaert wrote:Already thought this was the case. I'll have to tell the students this is one of the limitations of jamovi then :-)

Thx for your help,
The limitation seems to be related to the way bin is set. There is any way to change the bin of a specific graph inside jamovi? Btw I changed the maximum value to 10 and 20 just to see the result.

Anyway even Base R hist() default function also let some spaces sometimes, so at the end of the day I believe it's fine.
Ravi

Re: [SOLVED] Histograms

Post by Ravi »

At the moment we don't support changing the bin width, but we plan to add a plot editor in the future that'll let you tweak these kinds of options.

But I will take a look at improving the default behaviour though.

with thanks