SOLVED: How can I remove levels from nominal values?

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
stats2019

SOLVED: How can I remove levels from nominal values?

Post by stats2019 »

Hi,

I noticed, that from a .sav import, in a nominal type variable there might be levels. This is obviously incorrect. How can I remove the levels (but keep the data)?

actually, I found a/the simple solution:
Turn on and off the switch to retain levels (in an empty omv template):

Olaf
Last edited by stats2019 on Sun May 31, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonathon

Re: How can I remove levels from nominal values?

Post by jonathon »

so you can't remove the levels ... because nominal and ordinal variables always have levels. you *can* remove the custom labels, if that's what you're wanting to do. just select the label, change it to blank, and hit enter.

jonathon
stats2019

Re: SOLVED: How can I remove levels from nominal values?

Post by stats2019 »

Hi Jonathonm

you were fast ... sorry, I edited my original post.
Olaf
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

I noticed, that from a .sav import, in a nominal type variable there might be levels. This is obviously incorrect. How can I remove the levels
i don't quite understand why that's incorrect.
stats2019

Post by stats2019 »

Hi,

from my understanding, for ordinal scaled variables one can say this is better than that, or this comes before that.
For nominal this is not the case. One can not say male is better than female.
If I just have text that I want to be sorted alphabetically I do not need levels (and it might turn out that it's almost impossible to sort all levels by hand to be in the correct alphabetical order - if one has enough cases).

Aha... now I get the direction you intend "levels" to work for nominal in jamovi. Using levels at nominal variables you make it possible for the user to set an order for the entries (was that the intention).
I (as user) can say I want to show male before female - or I can say show female before mail.
I agree with this line of thought that this makes sense.

But this turns up another question: The codes for the levels (little text on bottom right in my animation above): Can this be changed/added/removed in jamovi?

Olaf
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

But this turns up another question: The codes for the levels (little text on bottom right in my animation above): Can this be changed/added/removed in jamovi?
so that's your data, that's the value from the values in the spreadsheet cells, so there's an argument that you shouldn't change that. addling labels to your data is one thing, but you shouldn't actually be changing your data. if you do need to change it, that's where transforms and computed variables come in.

cheers

jonathon
stats2019

Post by stats2019 »

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for your reply. Yes, it's my data - but then all possible levels should have codes. I think they might not be imported properly (I send you a mail with two files where I think this can be reproduced).

Olaf