Error: Jamovi Already Installed?

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
nwpevie

Error: Jamovi Already Installed?

Post by nwpevie »

Hello!

I just installed Jamovi 1.6.1 on my PC for a statistics course I am talking in the fall. After clicking the app, a pop-up asks me to allow Jamovi to make changes to my device and I click yes. Jamovi then appears to be loading but before it opens, I keep getting an error stating that "Jamovi 1.6.1 has already been installed" (photo attached). Since this is the first time I downloaded Jamovi, this cannot be right.

I've uninstalled and tried again, both with Jamovi 1.6.1 and with 1.2.27, however nothing seems to work. I'm wondering what's going wrong?

Thanks!
Attachments
jamovi error.PNG
jamovi error.PNG (2.65 KiB) Viewed 8709 times
Sabwales

Re: Error: Jamovi Already Installed?

Post by Sabwales »

Hello,

I have been trying to install the 1.6.23. and I receive the same error message over and over. I have properly deleted the previous version and when I look for Jamovi under programmes, it does not show it. I have also scanned the drives of my computer.
I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Seline
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi,

the jamovi install creates a start menu icon, and that's how most people launch jamovi. if it's not appearing in the start menu, i'm not sure why that would be the case.

jamovi typically installs to:

c:\program files\jamovi X.X.X.X (where X.X.X.X is the version).

as a back up, you can navigate to:

c:\program files\jamovi X.X.X.X\bin

and double click the jamovi.exe file.

cheers

jonathon
lexiemccown

Post by lexiemccown »

Jonathon this did absolutely nothing to answer this question
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi,

on windows, when you download a program from the internet, you usually get a file called blah-blah-setup.exe ... this is the *installer*. running this *installs* the program. after installing the program, if you run this a second time, it will tell you (quite correctly) that the program is already installed.

having installed the program, you now want to *run* the program. the installer typically creates an entry in the windows "start menu" (the bottom left menu on windows). if you open the start menu, you'll find an entry with the program name (in our case, that would be jamovi) and clicking this will start the program.

what i've described here is not unique to jamovi ... and is how software has worked for the past 20 years or so ... but i appreciate if you've only used app stores in the past, you may never have needed to do this before.

cheers

jonathon