Jamovi online version

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
djoubert

Jamovi online version

Post by djoubert »

Hello,

I am using Jamovi to teach an undergraduate course. Some students have to use the cloud version of Jamovi since they are using mobile devices or tablets to work. They are saying that Jamovi does not load some datasets because the size of the files exceeds the limit. Is there a workaround for this issue?

Any advice is welcome!

David Joubert
University of Ottawa, Canada
jonathon

Re: Jamovi online version

Post by jonathon »

hi david,

just checking, the limit we've imposed at the moment looks to be 16 Mb, which is quite generous -- let me know if the experienced limit is less than this.

there are costs associated with providing a service like the cloud based version, and the limits are so we can make it available to a larger number of people.

we're working on a paid service where people can help us cover the hosting costs, allowing us to raise these limits. let us know if that's something you'd like to participate in.

cheers

jonathon
djoubert

Post by djoubert »

Hello,

The file is not that large, about 1 Mb. It includes 2270 cases and 274 columns, though.
Could that be the problem?

Thanks,

David
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

let me look into it ... we should permit file sizes that large. if it's not a .omv file, you could try saving at as a .omv file, as these are typically more compact than other file formats, i.e. csv.

cheers

jonathon
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

OK, i've fixed the issue and raised the limit. let me know if you have any other issues.

cheers

jonathon
djoubert

Post by djoubert »

Hello,

I tried opening the file and it gives the message "This session is limited to 100 columns". I think that is where the issue is, not the actual file size.

David
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

oh hey,

yes, that's a separate issue. at this stage we are limiting the online version to 100 columns (see my earlier comments about their being costs associated with running the cloud version).

at this stage, we'd require you to opt into some sort of paid service for us to raise that limit.

or it might be simpler to reduce the number of columns in your data set. (i'm surprised you're using so many columns at an undergraduate level. it was not our expectation that this limit would cause a problem for undergraduate programs).

cheers

jonathon
djoubert

Post by djoubert »

Hi Jonathon,

I think the solution would be to simply drop columns from the dataset. I tend to use them as is from ICPSR and other repositories. Students don't need that many.
Thanks for the great work on the software and I am introducing many colleagues to it. In time my university may want to invest in Jamovi rather than other software with insane selling practices (SPSS comes to mind).

D
reason180

Post by reason180 »

How about using the jamovi cloud version to deliver paid advertisements from academic and scientific publishers and institutions?