not enough observations error

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
claudiaest

not enough observations error

Post by claudiaest »

Hi there!

I am trying to analyze the difference in means between the variable "age" and "happiness". I am trying to run a One-Way ANOVA but whenever I add "happiness" as DEPENDENT VARIABLE and "age" as GROUPING VARIABLE, I get a message that says "not enough observations".
I have a sample of 241, so I don't know why these message pops up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated O:-)

PS: please, let me know if I should be using a different test, I have very little idea about Statistics. Happiness is measured on a 1-10 scale (1 being "very unhappy" and 10 being "completely happy").
jonathon

Re: not enough observations error

Post by jonathon »

hi, we'd need to see that data set to know what's going on here. or even just a screenshot. i suspect your data is arranged in a slightly unusual way.

cheers

jonathon
claudiaest

Post by claudiaest »

Hi Jonathon,

thank you for your quick reply! Attached please find my dataset.
"Happiness" is measured in a 1-10 scale (1 being very unhappy, 10 being completely happy). Age is measured in years. I have a sample of 241 subjects, but I don't know what could be wrong for the "not enough observations" error to come up?

Thank you in advance,
Claudia
Attachments
sample_jamovi.omv
(8.34 KiB) Downloaded 623 times
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi, the error should more correctly be "not enough observations in each cell of the design".

the issue is that you have many different ages, and sometimes only one observation (of happiness) for that age. ANOVA requires that you have multiple observations (happiness) for each group (age).

in this case, a (non-parametric) correlation would be more appropriate.

cheers

jonathon
MAgojam

Post by MAgojam »

Hi, Claudia.
Jonathon has already given you useful suggestions, I won't add anything else, except to attach your file in which there are some suggestions for your evaluations.
mod_sample_jamovi.omv
(43.35 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
Cheers,
Maurizio
claudiaest

Post by claudiaest »

wow, thank you both so much ! this was really helpful x
mokatem1

Post by mokatem1 »

Hi,
I have a similar issue.
I wanted to compare my variables and wanted to use an anova and it kept opoing up with the 'not enough observations' error. Non-parfametric test wont tell me anything so how do I go around the error?
Many thanks!
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

attach a .omv file here with the error, and we'll take a look.

jonathon
mokatem1

Post by mokatem1 »

Hi,
I am using jamovi cloud so I dont have the data set saved in the programme, and the forum doesnt accept excel files, so here is a screenshot of the data. It is just a simple table, I deleted teh last row for my analysis of course.
Many thanks
Maja
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (191.02 KiB) Viewed 8253 times
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi maja,

this data set contains 6 observations, and if 'session' is your grouping variable, then that's only one observation per group ... so i think "not enough observations" is probably a correct error here.

i think you probably want a contingency table here.

(i keep rainbowfish myself ... and they love bloodworms and daphnia, so i'm curious about what your research is here).

cheers