infinite or missing value in 'X' ERROR

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
Tryson

infinite or missing value in 'X' ERROR

Post by Tryson »

Good Day I have been trying to confirmatory factor analysis but after input of the variables the the error message pops up of infinite or missing value in 'X'. What could be the problem?

Regards
jonathon

Re: infinite or missing value in 'X' ERROR

Post by jonathon »

could you share the data set?

with thanks
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Hi
I have the same problem - I run jamovi 2.0.0.0
(I am following the datalab.cc course (great!)

The exploratory factor analysis worked fine - but with the confirmatory factor analysis I received the "infinite or missing value in 'x'" (the Danish, however) :-)

I was able to run the CFA in JASP with the same dataset, but would prefer to do all analysis on this data in jamovi.

Best wishes, Ralf
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi,

send through a .omv file with the error (either zip it up and attach it here, or email it to contact <at> jamovi.org)

without a reproducible example, we can't pinpoint the error.

cheers

jonathon
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Hi,
Thanks! Sorry for my slow reply. The dataset contains research material - no person-sensitive-information though - is there a safe address I can send to?
Best wishes, Ralf
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

email it through to contact <at> jamovi.org

cheers

jonathon
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Hi,
I have reproduced the error / problem when running confirmatory factor analysis in a new dataset - please see attached.
Thank you!
Best wishes, Ralf
Attachments
ConfirmatoryFactorAnalysisProblem.omv
problem when running confirmatory factor analysis
(11.13 KiB) Downloaded 614 times
MAgojam

Post by MAgojam »

Ralf wrote: I was able to run the CFA in JASP with the same dataset, but would prefer to do all analysis on this data in jamovi.
Hi, Ralf.
I use your data and if you take a look at the screenshot I am attaching to you, you have an answer as to why you got an answer from jasp and an error from jamovi.
Error_cfa.jpg
Error_cfa.jpg (220.08 KiB) Viewed 15292 times
For continuous data with the Estimator ML, jasp by default as "Missing Values Method" passes to the CFA function of laavan missing = "listwise".
You can do this in jamovi by selecting the "Exclude cases listwise" option button.

Cheers,
Maurizio
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Hi,
Yeah, the problem (in the example data) is that you have 805 completely missing cases at the bottom of your spreadsheet, and the default full information maximum likelihood (FIML) estimator cannot handle this properly. So you can either delete/filter out these cases (as I assume they are included in the dataset as a mistake):
Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 11.45.59.png
Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 11.45.59.png (445.76 KiB) Viewed 14421 times
Or you can just choose the "exclude cases listwise" option (which will also remove these cases for this analysis).
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Thank you @MAgojam & @Ravi !
I have just tried your suggestions - it works - you have solved the problem - thank you so much!
Thank you MAgojam for the screenshot and the explanation of the difference between missing value-handling in jasp and jamovi!
You are right Ravi, the 805 blank cases are there by mistake: I am still learning jamovi and I fumble a bit. But I am very happy with the software and I will definitely advocate for jamovi to colleagues :-)
Best wishes and thanks, Ralf