Determine Ranks of ordinal text variables

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
StaryVyr

Determine Ranks of ordinal text variables

Post by StaryVyr »

Hi there,

as a lecturer on several applied universities I am teaching basic and advanced statistics courses
that are tailored for audiences without any skills in programming or even software engineering.
I really appreciate your software and I am more and more intensively using it for the
purposes of teaching.

For some tasks I have to use the "rat run" to handle text variables. For instance if they are
of an ordinal scale I am sometimes inclined to do compute the rank of such variables to determine
the Spearman rank coefficient or to executed a Wilcoxon signed-rank test, ...
but here I at first get stuck, because Jamovi is not computing the ranks of ordinal text variables
(see figure in attachement).
It is not a problem to resolve this situation (e.g. do first a transformation
as a recoding and then compute the rank of this new variable), but also a more direct solution (that
e.g. is exploiting the levels of the observations) would be more intuitive for my audience..

So I just want to check: Is this "Jamovi problem" is a bug or rather intended ?

(I am aware that from the expert perspective everything commonly starts from variables that
are coded as numbers. But for good reasons not the perspective of the novices.)

Best regards,
Michael
Attachments
jamovistuck.jpg
jamovistuck.jpg (72.11 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
jonathon

Re: Determine Ranks of ordinal text variables

Post by jonathon »

hi, yes, sorry this is a limitation at this time. if you create an issue on our gh page, we'll take a look (although may take some time).

https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues

cheers

jonathon