super slow script speed

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
emgallag

super slow script speed

Post by emgallag »

Hi, I work for NSW Health as a clinical psychologist, and part of my job is collecting and analysing outcome basic data for a small outpatient facility. I was using SPSS but it's no longer supported by NSW Health, and I really don't want to learn how to use SAS as it seems too hard. I was really happy to discover Jamovi!

I only have what I think is a small database file, 364KB. At the moment it has 182 rows and probably about the same number of columns (many of them as transformed scores).

What I do seem to have a lot of is analysis scripts. I've set up a bunch of descriptives and ANOVA scripts, but now when I enter new data in, or try to play with a filter or two, the scripts for everything I've ever asked it then re-run, and it slows it right down to the point where it will work super slow for me on my home wifi, but crashes on the hospital network completely.

Any ideas how I can get this running more smoothly? My only idea so far (and stats is not my strongest suite) is to have multiple versions of the dataset; one for weight outcomes, one for descriptives, one for ANOVAS etc. But that idea makes me nervous as I worry about data entry errors.
jonathon

Re: super slow script speed

Post by jonathon »

hi,

it's something of the jamovi concept, that analyses rerun as you change the data. in your case, it sounds like you have many analyses and a slow-ish computer.

our usual use-case is that someone enters most of their data, before performing analyses.

alternatively, you could remove unnecessary analyses (you can do this by right clicking on them), there by reducing the amount of analyses that need to rerun.

we do have a better solution in the pipeline ... our intention is that when you make a change to the data, it freezes all the analyses, and then places a large play button you can click once you've finished changing the data.

anyhow, that's where things presently stand.

cheers

jonathon
emgallag

Re: super slow script speed

Post by emgallag »

thanks Jonathan, that makes sense. a freeze then run-script function would be awesome