File won´t open??

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
leaw

File won´t open??

Post by leaw »

Hello everybody,

I have a major problem, I worked the past Week in a file created by jamovi itself (omv).
Now I wanted to add further data, but I get Jamovi says I can not open the file bc "file is not a zip file".
I am really afraid all my data is gone pls help me

Best regars
Lea
jonathon

Re: File won´t open??

Post by jonathon »

hi lea,

it sounds like the file has become corrupt. you could try emailing it through to contact <at> jamovi.org and i'll take a look, but i don't think there's much chance i'll be able to recover it.

file corruptions can occur for a variety of reasons, and your best bet is to maintain backups.

cheers

jonathon
Bobafett

Post by Bobafett »

We've had similar issues at my University. The problem is because Windows (I assume you are on Windows?) doesn't know to associate the jamovi program with opening the *.omv file types. Sometimes other programs are often used - mostly Winzip in my experience. So the problem is that Winzip is being instructed to open a file that it doesn't recognise - hence the error message. Easiest way round this is just to start up jamovi, and then navigate within the program to open up your data file.

If this is the root of your issue, then this fix will work and you data should be fine... :sunglasses:
leaw

Post by leaw »

Hi guys thank you for your quick replies!

I did open it with jamovi so this was not the reason, but it was about this specific file. I have no explanation, I always saved and closed properly
I am a kind of shocked that this can just happen!

In case this will help anyone: In the end I could use the version history (I had the file in onedrive) and use a version that was saved two hours earlier, which was not perfect but A LOT better then starting from scratch.
I will now copy every item in an additional excel file..

Thanks for the offer anyways, Jonathon!

Lea
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

for the record, it's just as likely this will happen in excel, as in jamovi ... this problem almost certainly has nothing to do with jamovi.

cheers