Plots taking a long time to load

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
Quint

Plots taking a long time to load

Post by Quint »

Hello, I am an IT administrator who installed Jamovi 2.2.5 in Microsoft Azure Virtual desktop for a professor. We have noticed that the Plots are taking a very long time to load (10 minutes +).

It appears to be a permission issue because when I log into the host as an administrator user the plot comes up immediately. Do you know what permissions are needed on which folders?

Thanks
Q
jonathon

Re: Plots taking a long time to load

Post by jonathon »

hi,

so jamovi asks windows for a temporary folder, and then all the session info, plots, etc. are read/written to that location.

does it sit there with a loading indicator, or are the plots simply blank?

we have the option to start jamovi with debug mode (you'll find it in the start menu) ... if you start it with

jamovi --debug

it should make the R process windows visible, and there might be some error messages there which could point us in the right direction.

jonathon
Quint

Post by Quint »

Hello Jonathon,

The load indicator is there, it just spins for 10+ minutes and when I run debut I get this....

C:\Program Files\jamovi 2.2.5.0\bin>jamovi

C:\Program Files\jamovi 2.2.5.0\bin>
(node:1092) electron: The default of contextIsolation is deprecated and will be changing from false to true in a future release of Electron. See https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/23506 for more information
jamovi
version: 0.0.0
cli: 0.0.0

ports: 63609, 63610, 63611

jamovi.server.session - creating instance: *****Removed GUID******

instance_started *****Removed GUID******
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

ah, so i'm wondering if you're getting "no results", rather than "no plots". most (all?) analyses produce a series of tables, that may or may not include plots -- but i'm guessing you might be getting "no results".

this suggests the communications between the main server process, and the background engine processes may be being blocked. this communication relies on named ipc channels.

https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/blob/current-dev/server/jamovi/server/enginemanager.py#L40-L44

let us know if that looks to be the issue.

cheers

jonathon
Quint

Post by Quint »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am getting results after the 10+ minute wait.
The descriptives are displayed along with the Plots
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hmm ... that is very unusual behaviour ... when it comes to permissions issues, we expect it to either work, or not work ... not just be delayed by 10 minutes ... so it feels like it can't be a permissions issue.

but there's not really any other sort of issue that involves a 10 minute delay either! so i'm inclined to think permissions are probably it.

are there any permissions set that might affect named pipe ipc?

jonathon
Quint

Post by Quint »

I am as stumped as you are on this.... :worried:

I am going to try and deploy an "out of the box" windows 10 deployment and see what happens.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

we can always sell you a cloud subscription if you really get stuck :)

https://www.jamovi.org/cloud.html

jonathon
Quint

Post by Quint »

The fresh "clean" build of windows 10 took a little over two minutes for the graph to be displayed.

That is better than 10+ minutes but still not acceptable. I will dig into it a little bit more and I will post my findings here (if any).
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

thanks. very strange ... we've never heard of this happening before.

so do results appear straight away (tables, etc.) and it's only plots that take time to load?

with thanks