Total Newbie - % and Multi Response Sets

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
PetraK

Total Newbie - % and Multi Response Sets

Post by PetraK »

Hi there,

Apologies if I am asking mundane or stupid questions. I used SPSS over 15 years ago, and am now running my analysis for the first time since then. I have chosen Jamovi as it seems the most straight forward and am finding it relatively easy to use.

However, being a total fresher to the situation I am struggling to:
a. run frequencies on all my questions with % on them
b. to understand how I define multiple response sets and run frequencies on them

Sorry again for the most basic of questions. I have tried searching through the forum and on google to no avail.

Thanks in advance,
Petra
jonathon

Re: Total Newbie - % and Multi Response Sets

Post by jonathon »

hi petra,

i'm not sure i completely understand what you're asking, but i'll do my best to answer.

a) if you use the descriptives (under explore) and drop your variables into that analysis, it will give you descriptives. then you can turn on frequency tables, and it will give you the percentages that each level represents.

b) can you describe this a bit more? i'm sure jamovi can help you out here, but your terminology isn't what i'm familiar with.

kind regards

jonathon
PetraK

Post by PetraK »

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks so much for your response - I super appreciate it!

Totally get it for a - thanks!

For b - here is more information! I have a question that was a multiple response in a survey. For example: what day of the week do you cook? Monday, Tuesday etc. etc. Where the respondent could choose more than one answer. In terms of my data file this is mapped out that each column is a day of the week (i.e. Monday is column A, tuesday B etc.).

I have many of these questions and would like to be able to run a frequency of this as if it was 1 question (rather than than 7 different questions) and look at it by different data points (i.e. split by Gender). Or look at it as a mean (how many days on average people are cooking). Right now - as a variable it is dichotomous. To help explain further - this is the way to do it in SPSS (http://helpdeskspssabs.femplaza.nl/data ... p_sets.htm). Is there a way to do this in Jamovi?

Thanks again so so much!
Petra
PetraK

Post by PetraK »

Oh and further follow up question. The data file I am dealing with is very large (22,000 rows and 100 columns) and I am noticing a lag in being able to generate any analysis. The right hand screen does not update and I need to close my data file and start again to get a new frequency each time. Is there a refresh button? Or is there something I am doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Petra
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi petra,

handling of large data-sets in jamovi isn't something which is well optimised. i'm working on improving this at the moment. if possible, could you send through your data set to contact <at> jamovi.org, and this will help me optimise it well.

wrt combining 7 questions into 1, what sort of combination is this? if you're wanting to code it into "how many days of the week do people cook?" you could create a new custom variable (a new column), and define the formula A + B + C + D + E + F + G (where A->G are whether someone cooks on year day of the week, encoded as 1 or 0)

does that makes sense? or did you have a different way of combining them in mind?

kind regards

jonathon
Coss

Post by Coss »

Hi, i'm from Venezuela. I have a question and i hope any of you can help me.
It is about multiple choice question. For example you can ask a sample to answer about the chocolate brands they know, then you give them several options, and they can select many of them. I have been using SPSS, in that program you have go to: 1) Analyze 2) Define Variable set. At this point each option is a colum and you have to select them all as one and then you can do a frequencie table.

I don't know how to do that in jamovi and i want to ask for help
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi coss,

this is an old thread from 2018. could you please start a new thread.

jonathon
antara

Post by antara »

Hey PetraK,

Did you a find a way to run frequencies on multiple response sets here ? If not, what did you use ?

thanks
PetraK wrote:Hi there,

Apologies if I am asking mundane or stupid questions. I used SPSS over 15 years ago, and am now running my analysis for the first time since then. I have chosen Jamovi as it seems the most straight forward and am finding it relatively easy to use.

However, being a total fresher to the situation I am struggling to:
a. run frequencies on all my questions with % on them
b. to understand how I define multiple response sets and run frequencies on them

Sorry again for the most basic of questions. I have tried searching through the forum and on google to no avail.

Thanks in advance,
Petra