How can data be merged in the jamovi?

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
daino

How can data be merged in the jamovi?

Post by daino »

Hello!, I'm asking you a question again :') because I'm having a problem while using jamovi.
In addition to copying and pasting methods, is there a way to merge two data in the jamovi?
I tried Rj to merge data into the r code, but it didn't working with importing data.
could you tell me what's wrong with my syntax?
Attachments
dh.PNG
dh.PNG (33.08 KiB) Viewed 11693 times
jonathon

Re: How can data be merged in the jamovi?

Post by jonathon »

hi,

it's currently not possibly to programmatically (using Rj) import data into jamovi. just use file -> open.

or do you have a special use-case? are you wanting to combine multiple files at once for example?

kind regards

jonathon
daino

Post by daino »

Yes! I would like to combine multiple files at once, or to merge additional cases or variables in other files.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

the next release will allow you to combine multiple files into one. a use-case for this is, say, experimental psychology, where you run participants through experiments, and have one data file per participant. in our next release, you'll be able to import multiple of these files, and they'll be combined end-to-end.

as for merging additional variables ... what's the use-case for that?

with thanks
daino

Post by daino »

It just means adding a new variable from another file. I know it's possible to paste, but I was wondering if there were any other ways. Thank you for your quick response and for your development of the jamovi!
bcollins

Post by bcollins »

One common use case would be when you have pre-post data on a set of subjects (or other longitudinal data) with a common ID variable to match subjects on in each file. In SPSS, you can select which variables in the second file you want to add as columns to the first file since some variables (demographics and such) may be redundant. I agree there are other ways to do this outside of Jamovi, but the SPSS functionality for adding either cases or variables is nice and reduces likelihood of error.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

oh yup. makes sense. thanks for the knowledge bump.

cheers

jonathon
PEEP_Lab

Post by PEEP_Lab »

HI there,
I am just following up about data merging for adding variables rather than subjects. This is one feature in SPSS that I still use before moving into jamovi. It would be awesome if you could merge two data files with the same subjects, but different variables, according to a common "key variable" in both data sets (e.g., subject number).
Thanks,
Tom

PS I LOVE jamovi. Thanks so much for all of your work.
PEEP_Lab

Post by PEEP_Lab »

I just wanted to bump this thread, because a lot of institutions (mine included) are dropping their SPSS licenses and moving to jamovi. This was one nice feature of SPSS that you might want to add.

PS I still LOVE jamovi. Thanks for all of your continuing work on this invaluable software!
lukasneville

Post by lukasneville »

Just wanted to add my vote for this feature. I have a number of studies where the data come from two separate Qualtrics surveys, and I need to merge them into a single dataset (using a participant ID as a key value). I think this is a fairly common use case for folks in psychology and adjacent fields.