plot font problems

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
Dlor

Re: plot font problems

Post by Dlor »

jonathon wrote:thanks for this. i don't suppose any of these are occuring in a VM you could make available to us?
I build a Virtualbox VM with Debian Buster and installed Jamovi. You can find it here:

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AYnsFScBdQv1Jd7HoNsIcjQhtx_BqbXS
Root password: qwerty
User: jamovi
User password: qwerty
mcfanda@gmail.com

Post by mcfanda@gmail.com »

Hi
I'm on a n Ubuntu Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Linux lat 5.4.0-29-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 29 14:32:27 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
on a fresh installation I got the same problem with graphics. The command suggested by Jonathon solved the problem
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

i've pushed out a 1.2.19 which will fix one of these problems. so when you go to export a plot, we ask electron to request a filename from the user. to the bottom right, you can choose the file format; PNG, EPS, etc.

now electron does not provide us with the format that the user chose (i'm pretty sure they blame Gtk), so that box doesn't do anything (but i feel like we need to keep it there as a hint as to the sorts of formats we support). in order to choose different formats, you need to add .pdf, or .eps, or whatever onto the end of your filename.

the change i introduced, is that if no extension is specified, it will default to the first in the list ... in this case .pdf.

not perfect, but the best i can do for now.

cheers
olindemann

Post by olindemann »

This fixes the problem:

Code: Select all

flatpak run --command=fc-cache org.jamovi.jamovi -f -v
I guess, this issue is related to Greetings,
Oliver
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hey oliver!

haven't seen you in a while :)

yup, i've got that in the user guide:

https://www.jamovi.org/user-manual.html#text-not-appearing-in-plots-under-linux

cheers
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

@Dlor,

this issue should be fixed in the latest version

cheers
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi laurent,

your issue should be fixed in the latest version.

cheers
rcalinjageman

Post by rcalinjageman »

I have students experiencing this problem when accessing jamovi via remote desktop. Our school is hosting jamovi 1.6.3 on a remote server. The students who are remoting in are ones who can't get jamovi running on their own machines (usually chrombooks and some older macs). Most are having no problems, but some are having these same strange ggplot font issues--regular tables show up just fine.

Reading through this thread I know there is a fix in a recent version for local installs.. but curious if there might be a specific font or tweak to consider on a chrombook or mac to try to resolve this from remote desktop? (asking for a lot, I know--just curious)
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

what remote desktop technology is being used? it should be unrelated to the device which is being used, and entirely down to the remote desktop server.

jonathon
rcalinjageman

Post by rcalinjageman »

The remote server is Windows based. I think it is based on the client being used--when I remote to jamovi, fonts on graphs are fine. But students connecting from Chromebooks have shared screen shots with the font problems.