Opening data files on the server

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
jeffmax

Opening data files on the server

Post by jeffmax »

When deploying Jamovi as a docker container, is there a way to allow the user to open files from a specific directory on the server (for examples a user's home directory) instead of uploading via the browser from the local machine? For example, can we add a directory on the server to the "Data Library"? I've seen some references to an index.yaml file on here but I haven't found it. Thanks.
jonathon

Re: Opening data files on the server

Post by jonathon »

hi,

yes, the docker container did used to have two "modes", and we did have one where it behaved like the desktop version, only in the browser (allowing you to browse the local file system) ... although it looks like we might have broken this at some point.

having said that, it is more secure to provide files through the data library.

give me a sense of your expertise? you feel comfortable following steps to customise the docker-compose file, to include data files into the jamovi image?

also, if you guys could financially contribute, we'd be able to provide a lot of this through the cloud version (it has one drive support, for example).

jonathon
jeffmax

Post by jeffmax »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply- for this scenario the cloud version is not an option as we need to self-host, but I have technical expertise (we've actually been chatting through a ticket on github about minor issues building the docker image). The data files would not be known at the time of build, so I am definitely looking more for the first situation where there used to be another "mode" to the docker image. If you could even point me in the direction of where or when that functionality broke it would be helpful. We may be able to issue PRs/contribute back to the codebase if that is helpful.

Thanks!
Jeff
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

i've just pushed a commit which gives the docker version very similar capabilities to the desktop version, see if that does what you need.

> for this scenario the cloud version is not an option as we need to self-host

an on-prem solution is a requirement of your institution? another option is that we provide a self-hosted cloud version via helm chart. the docker container is good for a small number of users, but i would be nervous pushing it further. with the cloud, we scale the number of containers up and down, etc.

cheers
jeffmax

Post by jeffmax »

Thank you! That was exactly the functionality I was looking for.

Yes to the on-prem requirement. We have infrastructure in place to deploy applications on a per user on-demand basis, but it is good to know about the availability of a helm chart. Thanks again!