Estimated marginal means output

Discuss statistics related things
tniel001

Estimated marginal means output

Post by tniel001 »

Hello,

I am new to jamovi/stats so please bear with. I am having some issues with the estimated marginal means feature. For 1 of my 6 experimental conditions ("Cond#2, Incompatible") the mean value being included into the estimated marginal means output is a very small negative number, despite the actual mean value for this condition in the descriptives table being 961.

I'm not sure where jamovi is getting this number from but it it incorrect and does not correspond to the true mean value for the experimental condition. It is especially confusing as the remaining 5 mean values in the estimated marginal means output correspond perfectly to those in the descriptives. It is just this 1 value that seems to be problematic. This incorrect, small mean value is also distorting the estimated marginal means plot.

I have attached screenshots of the estimated marginal means output and my descriptives table for reference.

Any advice on how to resolve this would be massively appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom.
Attachments
estimated marginal means.png
estimated marginal means.png (46.88 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
descriptives.png
descriptives.png (29.01 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
jonathon

Re: Estimated marginal means output

Post by jonathon »

hi,

> I'm not sure where jamovi is getting this number from but it it incorrect and does not correspond to the true mean value for the experimental condition.

i'd suggest it is premature to declare this incorrect because it does not correspond to the descriptive mean. estimated marginal means and descriptive means are not the same thing.

the result is surprising, but my money would be on it having a reasonable explanation and jamovi being correct here.

feel free to attach a .omv file here (you may need to zip it up first) containing the analysis, and we'll take a look.

jonathon
tniel001

Post by tniel001 »

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for your response! It would be amazing if you could take a look at the data and advise.

Please see attached.

Thank you!
Tom.
Attachments
WIP analysis.omv
(225.52 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
reason180

Post by reason180 »

@tniel001
It looks like you made an error in your repeated-measures analysis. Apparently, the final entry in 'Repeated Measures Cells' should be rt_2_incomp but you've mis-specified it to be a different data column: z_rt_2_comp.
Untitledtempimage1.png
Untitledtempimage1.png (122.42 KiB) Viewed 9787 times
tniel001

Post by tniel001 »

Ah I see! Thank you for pointing this out!