Linear Regression Calculation differences

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
dregelyi

Linear Regression Calculation differences

Post by dregelyi »

Dear All,
I have a data set consist of 2 factors and 1 output variable. I would like to perform linear regression with the base Jamovi modul.
The calculated ANOVA (Omnibus ANOVA test) is good (pic1.jpg).
The next step is to take into account the interaction to the model. In this case the calculated ANOVA table is and the modell coefficients (pic2.jpg).
When I have repeated it with the Linear Models modul, there the calculation is different(pic3.jpg).
If the variable is take into account as factor, then the ANOVA is the same. If the variable is take into account as covariates the results are different.
Could you explain the received difference?

Best regards,
Agota
Attachments
pic1.JPG
pic1.JPG (114.87 KiB) Viewed 627 times
pic2.JPG
pic2.JPG (121.97 KiB) Viewed 627 times
pic3.JPG
pic3.JPG (112 KiB) Viewed 627 times
mcfanda@gmail.com

Re: Linear Regression Calculation differences

Post by mcfanda@gmail.com »

General Linear Model by default centers the covariates to their mean, whereas Linear Regression does not. So, when your variables are entered as covariates and there is an interaction in the model, the first order effects are different. If you center your variables or in GLM set the scale to "none", you get the same results.

If you define your variables as factors you get the same results because both modules code the factors in the same way (centered dummy coding)
dregelyi

Re: Linear Regression Calculation differences

Post by dregelyi »

Thanks, it is clear now.
BR,Agota