GGIR Package

Everything related to the development of modules in jamovi
joao

GGIR Package

Post by joao »

Hello,

I'm wondering what the procedure to add a module to Jamovi is.

Would it be possible to add the GGIR package to Jamovi?

Does Jamovi require frequent maintenance for its modules?
seol

Re: GGIR Package

Post by seol »

Hi

Please carefully read the following tutorial.
https://dev.jamovi.org/

Best
Seol
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi joao,

take a look at the tutorial seol has pointed you towards, and don't hesitate to get in touch if you need help along the way.

generally speaking, modules don't require too much maintenance once they're developed, but it comes down to what breaking changes occur in upstream R packages ... if your module has a small amount of dependencies, then your module will probably continue to work indefinitely. there are lots of modules that haven't been touched (by developers) in years, and they continue to function.

which makes sense, based on tinyverse principles:

https://www.tinyverse.org/

modules with lots of dependencies tend to have a higher maintenance burden ... because it's not just their dependencies, but their dependencies dependencies. taking a look at GGIR, that imports quite a few packages.

this means there's an even chance you'll need to revisit the module every 12 months or so (we bump the R version, and move forward the R snapshot about once every 12 months ... this usually happens when we update, say, 2.4 to 2.5) ... and it's at these time points it's worth investigating whether breaking changes have occurred in any of your modules dependencies, and adjusting your module to suit.

cheers

jonathon
joao

Post by joao »

Hello Seol and Jonathon,

Thank you very much for clarifying and directing me to the tutorial. I'll definitely go over it.

I'm new to jamovi and I don't have any coding experience to develop this package for jamovi. However, I'll share this information with the creators of the package and make a suggestion. I believe it would be a great addition to the software!

Cheers,

Joao