Installation package for Windows does nothing

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
MattClarke

Installation package for Windows does nothing

Post by MattClarke »

I downloaded the installation package for jamovi yesterday -- jamovi-0.9.0.5-win64.exe

When I run that program, nothing seems to happen apart from the cursor "working" icon spinning for 1 second -- no dialog, no error, nothing showing in TaskManager.

I am running Windows 10.

Any ideas?

Matt.
jonathon

Re: Installation package for Windows does nothing

Post by jonathon »

hi matt,

could you try running the jamovi 'debug console' (should be available from the start menu), then type 'jamovi' into it, and see if it produces any output?

with thanks

jonathon
MattClarke

Post by MattClarke »

No such thing as 'debug console' in my programs.
It is not that I installed the software and it doesn't run, but that the install package does not install anything.

--Matt
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

oh that is strange. could you try downloading again?

with thanks
superyms

Post by superyms »

Hi,

yes this is not named 'console debug'.
please check in your programs for Jamovi 0.9.0.5 Debug (this numbers could change depending on your jamovi version) this is the program that launch the console debug.

best.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hey supersyms, it sounds like the issue is with the installer, rather than jamovi.
MattClarke

Post by MattClarke »

When I downloaded the same file again, i worked. Very strange! From the outside the two copies of the downloaded file look identical, but only the second attempt works.

Anyway, problem is solved for now. Thanks.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

incidentally, if you were wanting to use this on *very large* data sets, i.e. > 100 000 rows, you may run into performance issues. i do have the code committed that improves performance, but it just needs some work from our analysis UI guy.

it will still work, but there will be a couple of gaps. the next hurdle is that our analysis UI guy, is also the guy who builds the windows installers.

the hurdle after that is that we don't support dates (not actually that common in social sciences, so we haven't implemented them yet), so it's necessary to convert them to some other (numeric) representation before importing into jamovi.

so you've really fallen into one of our blind spots!

(adding date support in a short amount of time isn't completely out of the question, however)

jonathon